Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

EvlSteveDave t1_j6ay8bp wrote

I change my strings every fucking week or something. You're just missing out big time.

SisterBucket OP t1_j6azs5b wrote

Tf are you doing to your strings that you have to replace them so often?

For me personally there's at the moment no real reason to change strings. I'm not playing for an audience and if I want to upgrade the quality of my sound then I need a different guitar. But I can't afford the €1500 it would cost to get a guitar like that.

I don't mind playing my Esteve though. It's a nice guitar.

EvlSteveDave t1_j6beo2h wrote

I'm exaggerating honestly, but it's not once every few years or whatever. I am usually playing on an SG with 9 gauge strings. Kind of a heavy strummer. Fast alternate picking stuff, so they just kind of wear faster I suppose. Really I change out maybe once a month because the vibrations of the strings get all fucked up once they get dirty enough. Doesn't really matter how often you wipe, it's going to happen.

SisterBucket OP t1_j6bh7ll wrote

Ah right, you're a very different guitarist compared to me. I remember playing in a band and burning through 12 gauge strings on my Ibanez Iceman on a weekly basis.

Now I only play classical guitar and I use strings that are very durable and silent when sliding my fingers over them.

EvlSteveDave t1_j6c8dqh wrote

Ahhh okay, yeah maybe it is a totally different thing. Part of this too is that I'm really sensitive to when strings begin to go dull, and I just fucking hate it.

SisterBucket OP t1_j6cqv4h wrote

Yeah fair, I actually don't mind strings that are a bit dulled. They're bad when playing for an audience or recording, but at home I'm glad they don't ring through the entire apartment building.

I do remember playing as a kid on my first guitar with cheap strings and lots of noise around at an exhibition from my music school. People had to huddle around me to actually hear me. I could've used some decent strings back then, lol.

Plenor t1_j6b9hsw wrote

I was with you before but weekly is excessive even if you're gigging every night.

EvlSteveDave t1_j6c8ame wrote

I'm just Italian, so it's like... ya know maybe once a month.