Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

NickSalvo t1_jacgvw4 wrote

It's probably not what you're asking about, but:

In "The Shining," when Jack first goes to the Overlook Hotel to meet his employer, he walks through the lobby and into the middle of the building. Yet when he enters Ullman's office, it has a window to the outside. It couldn't happen based on the layout of the building. But I believe Kubrick used this "fundamental mistake" (and several others throughout the film) to unsettle the viewer subconsciously.

koberulz_24 t1_jacuz41 wrote

Kubrick breaks the 180° rule, too, which is even more directly related to the OP.

mrmechsale t1_jad78qg wrote

the one that shocks me that I never noticed is during the tour of Overlook, they look at the walk-in freezer, and the exterior changes completely as well as how the door hinges

rick_blatchman t1_jadb2oj wrote

During the dinner scene in A Clockwork Orange, the level of wine in Alex's glass varies from shot to shot, and it was claimed that this was intended to create a disorienting feeling. I think it's more likely that the insane perfectionist in Kubrick couldn't stand it when this flub was noticed and just had to provide a reasonable explanation.

That's just my thought on that movie, it might be true as far as The Shining goes.