Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Metal64Game t1_je5vzv5 wrote

Na Hong-Jin is a fucking genius. Absolute auteur. A masterclass in filmmaking.

yes i know this sounds like movie circlejerk sarcasm, but its not.

BeginningAppeal8599 t1_je6v0xi wrote

He definitely is. His chase scenes and story pacing is just spectacular.

Nldngooner t1_je6ysar wrote

The Wailing was a bit too fucked up/scary/depressing for me but give me something like The Chaser again and ill be first in line

JustStrolling_ t1_je8pphe wrote

The Chaser is so dark but so compelling. Love movies with a reluctant protagonist.

It's a thriller than nails its emotional moments. Hard to find those.

DelboyLindo t1_je99c7k wrote

Saw The Chaser at the Cinema, still remember the poster in the lobby saying “being remade by the producers of The Departed”.

JustStrolling_ t1_je99nrm wrote

Lol. I didn't even know they're gonna remake it. Probably gonna suck like the Old Boy remake.

Cool username btw.

DelboyLindo t1_je9a98r wrote

That was over 15 years ago, doubt there’ll be a remake now. Just makes me laugh how eager they were to slap that quote on the poster trying to cash in on the success of Infernal Affairs/The Departed and it never fucking happened. Old Boy remake was soooo bad, unwatchable bad, Charltoy Copley doing that weird whiny voice.

Cheers for the compliment, it’s a combination of my two favourite things,Delroy Lindo & Delboy Trotter. And also Snake Plissken username was taken.

colbydc5 t1_jea0oti wrote

I remember watching The Chaser prior to it’s wide release at the Busan International Film Festival and Na along with the leads all came out afterwards to do a Q&A session. I got to speak with him briefly and unfortunately the translator misunderstood what I asked but he still gave very thoughtful responses and it was a really cool moment to share that space with the man who made this film and a very excited audience. It was also disturbing watching an actor portray a serial killer so well and then walk out onto the front of the theater 20 feet in front of you. Gave me chills.

BeginningAppeal8599 t1_je8lkzo wrote

Since I could never get that first experience I had with The Chaser I'd rather rewatch The Wailing.

x3alann t1_je7tc5x wrote

Na hong jin is so damn underrated. Yeah theres park chan and bong, but nah hong jin is another animal.

The chaser is forever one of my favourites.

No-Bumblebee4615 t1_je7zrrx wrote

I don’t know, aside from The Wailing, his films aren’t really knock outs. The first 45 minutes of The Chaser is as good as Oldboy and I Saw the Devil, but it meanders like crazy in the second half.

The Yellow Sea starts off well too, but once the story gets going, I lose interest.

The Wailing is pretty fantastic though.

Metal64Game t1_je80bg5 wrote

the final act of chaser is amazing imo

No-Bumblebee4615 t1_je83dv0 wrote

That’s true, I guess my issue is mainly with the second act. For a good portion of the film we follow the lead character as he searches for a woman who we believe to be dead, while the killer is in police custody. For a thriller, there’s just no tension in this set up.

If they revealed that she was alive earlier and made it clear that the killer would be released by a certain time, we would have been more invested in the lead character’s search.

Metal64Game t1_je9xihk wrote

Making the audience unsure of both the stakes and the ticking clock leads to a more visceral and shocking third act. There is tension, but it's never explicit, it's always simmering under the surface instead.