Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

LeeF1179 t1_jdyhmev wrote

This is a series, not a film.

BeginningAppeal8599 t1_jdz6z54 wrote

I never saw that adaptation but I thought his recent Rogue Heroes was a mess. Maybe he doesn't even have time to read that book😅

But am in awe of how he has like 6 projects every year and I admire how he wasn't beaten down by the film that flopped.

TheUsualQuestions t1_jdysdyt wrote

I normally believe in respecting a person’s opinion on films and stories but Steven Knight’s butchering of A Christmas Carol was so insufferably sadistic, poorly written, and oozed so much unearned arrogance that I gotta say you should’ve seen this coming and the fact that he’s being given the chance to essentially rape another one of Dickens’s works is an absolute disgrace.

_SkullBearer_ OP t1_jdysxpj wrote

I saw it as something like a fashion show, it wasn't functional, but there were some good ideas there that set it apart from the yearly retread of the subject matter. I particularly liked Ali Baba, and the idea of making Tiny Tim into a little person. I don't see any signs of that originality in this new movie though.

D6Desperados t1_jdysdq8 wrote

I really liked the (very loosely based) Great Expectations adaptation from the 90’s w/ Ethan Hawke

Frag1 t1_jdysua3 wrote

So....not as good as you hoped then?

_SkullBearer_ OP t1_jdyt2ba wrote

I enjoyed a Christmas Carol because under the grimdark mess it had some good ideas that I haven't seen explored in any other adaptation. However there seems to be none of that here.

mickeyflinn t1_jdzgtpj wrote

Of course it will be a mess. It is a Steven Knight show! The guy has no clue how to structure a narrative.

Dottsterisk t1_jdzqvzy wrote

I wouldn’t go so far as to say “no clue,” but I do wonder if he has a certain workman-like approach to the craft, where he’s comfortable cranking out a story that works well enough and just calling it a day, as opposed to taking the time to live with a script and question not only if it is literally coherent, but if it’s as strong as it can be.

This enables him to crank out lots of work, but some of it is just content.

mickeyflinn t1_jdzsqgh wrote

> I wouldn’t go so far as to say “no clue,”

I guess you never saw Rogue Heroes, Peak Blinders, Serenity, Taboo or Girl in the Spider Web. All have great scenes and characters and some catchy dialogue but are utter clusterfucks when it comes to story narrative.

−2

Dottsterisk t1_jdzwlzh wrote

Or I think he can have some issues with story structure but also obviously has enough of a grasp to be a successful and prolific screenwriter with some celebrated works under his belt too.

CapnOnTheBridge t1_jdygmqa wrote

G.E. is quite possibly the most boring slogfest I've ever been forced to read in my entire life. Fuck that book. I'd never watch this, Olivia Colman or not.

−4

_SkullBearer_ OP t1_jdygu6k wrote

Did they make you read it at school?

CapnOnTheBridge t1_jdyitlm wrote

Sophomore year.

_SkullBearer_ OP t1_jdyizwo wrote

Yeah, I was the same with Oliver Twist. Dickens is only fun when you read it when you want to. I read GE in my own time and liked it fine, but having to study it would be murder.