Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Dottsterisk t1_jeehbfa wrote

IMO Aragorn’s arc in that final film comes off a little bit wonky because the initial script, which they filmed and only changed at the very last minute in post-production, included a final battle between Aragorn and Sauron himself in front of the Black Gate.

So a lot of other Aragorn sequences seem rushed or relatively inconsequential, because none were supposed to rival that climactic encounter. But then they swapped out Sauron for a troll at the last minute.

I think those plans for a big Sauron reveal and battle with Aragorn at the end really affected how they treated the ghost army and that part of Aragorn’s arc.

albert_r_broccoli2 t1_jeehlgz wrote

>Included a final battle between Aragorn and Sauron himself in front of the Black Gate.

Holy shit that would have been awesome.

−7

The_Meemeli t1_jeei0rb wrote

It wouldn't really have made sense for him to have a physical form without the ring, though.

verc1ngetor1x OP t1_jeeiej8 wrote

This was another question I had but thought I'd get buried if I admitted I never readthe books. How come Sauron's physical form is visible while he's wearing the ring?

Chaladan t1_jeejitq wrote

Sauron is essentially a spirit, albeit an extraordinarily powerful one. He is able to take many different physical forms, and once had a reputation as a shapeshifter. However, when he made the One Ring he put most of his power into it, so that he could better control it and therefore the other rings of power. It isn't that his physical form isn't visible when he doesn't possess the Ring, it's more that he doesn't have the power to manifest it in the same way. All he's capable of is the form of the Eye, and that's only after centuries of regathering his strength.

Dottsterisk t1_jeeke8h wrote

Importantly, this is according to the movie. In the books, Sauron is not a giant eye on top of a tower.

Chaladan t1_jeekiec wrote

True, it's more of a metaphor. Point still stands, though!

Aquagoat t1_jeeq11b wrote

Additionally, the ring doesn't have the 'power of Invisibility'. The ring contains Sauron's power, which is of the unseen world. Creatures who do not exist in this realm, are pulled there, and appear to disappear from the physical world when wearing the ring. This 'world' is more like a spiritual layer on our world.

If a creature who exists in both the Seen and Unseen wears the ring, nothing remarkable would seem to happen. So I believe if Elves wear the one ring, they wouldn't turn invisible. Perhaps even the three rings they wear would turn a mortal invisible by placing them in the unseen world as the one ring does.

Sauron of course exists in both realms, so wearing the ring doesn't switch him from Seen to Unseen like it does a Hobbit. And then as you say Chaladan, he just doesn't have the strength to manifest a physical body without the ring any longer.

[deleted] t1_jegk9qe wrote

[deleted]

Aquagoat t1_jegu67i wrote

Well I thought so, but it could be that he is something else entirely, and the ring has no effect on him at all, invisibility or otherwise.

jeffhopper t1_jeejxh2 wrote

Also never read the books, but recently picked them up on Kindle with audible narration to read/listen to at the gym. The newer audiobook is narrated/performed by Andy Serkis, and it is amazing! I'm almost finished with Fellowship, and I can't put it down. If you've ever been curious about picking up the books, I highly recommend the audiobooks. Make sure you get the Andy Serkis version and not the previous narrator.

verc1ngetor1x OP t1_jeekh0u wrote

I saw a promo of him narrating the Hobbit, it sounded great! I'll check it out one of these days.

Alive_Ice7937 t1_jeer74l wrote

It's understandable why they took it out. It would have pulled too much focus from Frodo and Sam. (It why losing the mouth of Sauron was a good idea too imo).

They used parts of the Sauron fight to make that part where he fights a troll instead.

asshat123 t1_jeh1w9k wrote

I also think that mouth of Sauron sequence is sort of weird for Aragorn's character. He just lops the guy's head off and says "He was probably lying, let's do this suicide mission anyways."

I feel like it could've worked, but it would've taken more than that sequence to make Aragorn's actions seem reasonable at that point

albert_r_broccoli2 t1_jeexsvm wrote

Less focus on Frodo & Sam would have been a huge improvement, iyam.

Movie should have been entirely focused on the Big 3 of Aragorn, Gandalf, and Legolas.

−5