Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

farmerarmor t1_jdx93yw wrote

I got a power glove for Xmas after this movie came out. Worthless. Piece. Of. Shit.

But I still have it in a display case in my office.

On a side note my parents had dropped me and my friends off at our local arcade when I was 5…. Besides the regular arcade they had several rooms with couches and Nintendo systems. …. Anyhow I vividly remember the owner coming in with a copy of super Mario bros 3. And putting it into the system in the largest room… had like 3-4 couches.
Nobody had played it yet or seen any gameplay outside of in the Wizard…. I sat for 3 hours watching a group of 12-13 year olds play Mario3 instead of playing arcade games myself.
A core memory that I’ll never forget.

shf500 t1_jdxub8t wrote

> I got a power glove for Xmas after this movie came out. Worthless. Piece. Of. Shit. > >

I wonder how many parents got angry at their kids when the kids played the Power Glove for maybe 5 minutes and then stopped playing it.

farmerarmor t1_jdxvpcn wrote

My dad wasn’t happy until my mom (cuz her hands fit in it) tried it and said it didn’t work very good.

CourtOrderedPoster t1_jdxo5j4 wrote

Hats off to Nintendo for never giving up on the concept. It was just like a way early wiimote prototype.

SirAdrian0000 t1_je2ui5y wrote

They should make power glove 2.0. They should market it as no longer “bad”

Pete_Iredale t1_jebhfdl wrote

I feel the exact opposite. Motion control sucked then, and it still sucks now. Wii remotes just mean another bunch of Nintendo games that will be difficult to port onto new system, same as their dumb dual screen bs.

rohobian t1_jdxjn4v wrote

Holy fuck it was horrible. I thought Punch Out might have been fun with it, and it was just a lost cause. I had Rad Racer, and you'd think that might translate well. It did not. I used it for about an hour in efforts to get it to work well with ANY game I had, and it just didn't. Glove got thrown into the attic storage never to be seen again.

invuvn t1_jdyd8wm wrote

Dude, I’m so jealous: you played Rad Racer with the Power Glove? Did you also wear those 3D glasses that were just blue and green transparent plastic sheet cutouts? Cant get any more RAD than that!!

farts_in_the_breeze t1_je02aan wrote

I did. Tried for 20 minutes. That was the day I learned people are liars.

invuvn t1_je19jzh wrote

Given the chance, most would rather you drown with them than save you 🤨

Pete_Iredale t1_jebhpsz wrote

I picked one up maybe 15 years ago and messed around with it some. I thought it actually worked pretty well for the pack in game, the problem is holding your arm up gets really annoying after like 1-2 minutes. Who would ever want to play video games by holding their arm straight up in front of them for hours at a time?

Smurfy0730 t1_jdxa053 wrote

"I love the Power Glove, it's so bad."

OR

"I love the Power Glove, it's so rad."

fan?

I am for the former.

farmerarmor t1_jdxccow wrote

Rad woulda definitely made more sense.

invuvn t1_jdyczd8 wrote

But bad makes just as much sense as well…you just had to know how to read between the lines!

crashfrog t1_jdz7rps wrote

We were saying "bad" for things that were good, in the 80's. It's just a piece of slang that was a little dated by the time they used it in the movie.

AuntieEvilops t1_jdz8at5 wrote

Hell, Michael Jackson had a #1 single and #1 album named after its slang meaning. But yes, popular usage was wearing thin by the time "The Wizard" came out.

glennbob81 t1_jdz9fjn wrote

Not where I grew up but we didn't get cable until 1990.

Pete_Iredale t1_jebh6t8 wrote

Tom Petty's album Full Moon Fever has a song titled Yer So Bad, and there is a poster for the album on the side of an arcade game in the movie. Just a funny coincidence relating to this line of conversation I guess.

jl_theprofessor t1_jdxilqq wrote

My Power Glove kept sending my Rocketeer in the wrong direction. My mother insisted I use the finger controls instead of the d-pad because "that's what she bought it for."

Pete_Iredale t1_jebgk05 wrote

Before SMB3 was released in the US, my video rental store somehow had a Famicom version with an adapter that you could rent. A restaurant in town also had a Playchoice 10 arcade with SMB3 well before the US launch. The hype for that game was just unreal.