Submitted by nicknacc t3_yhyo9h in movies

With the recent "The New Justin Long Movie" being a fakeout for Barbarian Im wondering how often this has been done in the past. I remember The Forest being a secret Blair Witch movie. I WISH Prey was a secret Pred movie, imagine what the hype would have been when that dropped. I also remember Cloverfield lane trying to keep the connection a secret. You have to finish the movie for the surprise.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kingzilch t1_iugduwb wrote

When Ridley Scott was making Prometheus, it was a badly-kept secret that it was an Alien prequel.

And similar to your premise, the twist in M. Night Shyamalan's Split was that we had been watching a sequel to Unbreakable.

After_Hovercraft7822 t1_iugfkja wrote

“The New Justin Long Movie” trailer was released after the movie came out. It’s mostly a joke, but it does make it clear that it’s the horror movie people kept forgetting the name of.

I saw the actual theatrical trailer for this before NOPE and it was clearly a horror film titled “Barbarian”.

TakedownCorn t1_iugk73v wrote

There was a trailer for Crocodile Dundee 4. Turned out to be an advertisement for Australia Torusim. I was heartbroken.

damienkarras1973 t1_iugtzvz wrote

that Zombie movie with Adam Driver and Bill Murray The Dead Don't Die completely billed as some kind of hilarious zombie comedy

Movie was nothing like what people expected, it even broke the 4th wall at least if you had no spoilers about it

IMO it was a really boring, slow, DRAMA, where any jokes or laughs fell flat and it felt more like an experimental film. the trailer even had a tagline about the great zombie movie cast

I was actually hyped for it based on the trailer but the movie was nothing like the trailer

jwphotography01 t1_iuhtbl2 wrote

Deadpool was marketed as a RomCom for Valentines Day. Well it wasnt.

Maury_poopins t1_iughfiu wrote

“Rushmore” was billed as a slapstick movie starring Bill Murray.

It was actually a fairly dry coming-of-age comedy where they showed all four jokes in the previews.