Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

farseer4 t1_iuihd87 wrote

I love that movie. It's a lot of fun and has a great pace, pure pulp adventure. Some all-time great action set-pieces. The mine cart chase, as an adult, seems a bit silly, though, although I loved it as a kid.

It gets criticized because the female lead is not a "strong female character", but for me she was the only sane character in the cast, a good comic foil for Indy and Short Round, freaking out quite reasonably while the other two took all the craziness in stride.

The first three Indiana Jones movies were great, while the fourth was very disappointing. I don't really want to see the 5th. I don't trust them to do anything good with a 90 years old Indy.

They should either end the franchise or recast Indy, just like they do with James Bond. If they recast, it won't be easy to capture the roguish charm that Harrison Ford used to have, though. Also, if they go back to the 30s they will basically be restricted to fighting the nazis, since having those exaggerated pulp adventures outside that will be called racism.