Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

markymarcbolan t1_itipsro wrote

I think it’s a sorta fine/mediocre movie, but obviously a pretty poor “Michael Myers movie”. The marketing didn’t do it any favors, nor does it’s position as the third movie of a trilogy ostensibly about the battle of Laurie Vs Michael.

I give the filmmakers some kudos for taking some real risks (they had to know this thing wouldn’t go over well), but there’s a myriad of problems that bring it down for me. Characters basically turn into bizarro world versions of themselves, the dialog is as poor as ever, some of the worldbuilding / mythology / thematic stuff just doesn’t work when you spend longer than five seconds thinking about it, etc etc.

ItzTheRealRobb OP t1_itiqgch wrote

Agree 100% I think now they should just leave this franchise be from now on. Its made its history, film could have been better but also could have been worse i guess. But this is until some brain box gets an idea in years to come and says “oh i wanna do a remake or a new Halloween film”. Even though MM is DEAD DEAD for real this time. Because they know it will sell, regardless of how bad it could turn out. I’ll always love the franchise but fk me these last couple films have been a letdown. Dont fix what isn’t broken i reckon.

markymarcbolan t1_itir4f3 wrote

Yeah, I hear that. Everyone knows this will be rebooted yet again, it’s only a matter of time. If David Gordon Green wanted to go this route (which I highly doubt was the original plan, at least not in this structure), Michael should have died in the house fire in 2018 and Corey should have done his thing in the two follow ups, for better or worse.

I’m also a massive Halloween fan here too, but I’m ready for another break in the action so I can get back to watching the original film and the small handful of legitimately good sequels multiple times a year lol.