Submitted by GreenlightProduction t3_z5jidr in movies

Apologies if this has been asked already, but I feel like this is a question that needs to be asked.

If I was them, I would concentrate on making low-budget films (kinda like a starting from scratch strategy, while concentrating on it's most popular franchises (i.e. DCU, Harry Potter etc).

But I'd like to see what everyone thinks.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

blackcatmystery t1_ixwedko wrote

By making sure revenue is greater than their expenses.

JasonTodd123456 t1_ixwfyxe wrote

Big companies operate with massive debts. The factor here is the share price. Zaslav has come in to slash the debt, to increase the share price with investors. It's hasn't worked so far, as its caused brand damage and tanked it. In the long term it may work. The debt isn't normally the issue, but poor management decisions has made it prohibitive for the company.

WBD needs to deliver films with high grosses. Decide what the plan is for HBO Max. Or merge with another studio.

naughtypundit t1_ixx2vgc wrote

They can't escape their debt. From Time to AOL to AT&T and Discovery it's just been one bad merger after another. WBD will be carved up like a turkey and sold off in pieces. The question is who will get the biggest chunk. There are fewer and fewer buyers.

SJ966 t1_ixwf72t wrote

Leverage the potential success of Hogwarts legacy into a sale of their games division and lock that game company they no longer own into expensive licenses for their film ip’s.

Top_Barnacle9669 t1_ixwg9gb wrote

Actually come up with a plan and stick with it. I'm so over Batman reboots.

MulciberTenebras t1_ixwh7wu wrote

They had that kind of plan until Zaslav axed it. Batgirl, Supergirl, etc.

Top_Barnacle9669 t1_ixwher0 wrote

Yeah. Still doesn't negate the feels like 400 Batman origin stories that there have been.

MulciberTenebras t1_ixwhlfn wrote

They keep falling into this same pattern, they try new stuff and undermine it... then go right back to Batsy.

Even most of their animated stuff of late has Batman in the title or on the advertising, even though the films were supposed to be about other characters.

pajamatheater t1_ixwoq00 wrote

The amount of batman animated movies that have come out over the last 5 years or so is staggering. I enjoy them sure but I swear everytime I go to buy the newest one they have 3 more lined up!

Where_Da_BBWs_At t1_ixxi5tp wrote

DCs line up of characters has always been pretty shallow with an overemphasis on Batman characters.

DC has always been more about buying other publishers to have monopoly over shelf space, but they never really developed the characters once they purchase them.

Comic_Book_Reader t1_ixwiacl wrote

Well, for one, David Zaslov has kind of already answered this question, by effectively killing off and cutting (down) a bajillion projects. And any movie with money potential gets into theaters. Things like A Christmas Story Story, which literally spawned out of nowhere, aren't exactly big enough to get butts in seats. Evil Dead Rise on the other hand, will. A recognizable name, horror and blood hounds will love it, and it's a horror movie, so it doesn't cost a whole lot. And given it was switched from a HBO Max release to theaters, presumably due to highly positive results from test screenings, you could see it be a hit.

DC is already a mixed bag (Black Adam's numbers have been less than impressive), but given two sequels to two successful DC movies, those two will be easy cash. (The Flash, in spite of Zaslov and test audiences being highly positive, will either be a hit or historical flop because of you know why.)

AutographedSnorkel t1_ixx1oug wrote

They went with the Netflix model of "make as much shit as possible to build up enough customers to eventually turn a profit", except there is way too much competition for that to work now.

allthestruggle t1_ixwju6o wrote

I'm pretty sure Sony pictures was in a similar place not that long ago and what they did was actually to place more focus on television production which has generally been less expensive to produce and over time generates quite a bit of revenue...it doesn't seem like this is the route they want to take, and there may be good reason for that as tv budgets have skyrocketed and they probably can't count on quite so big a payday from syndication. Honestly I think Zazlov is trying to make the company appealing for purchase because that is generally what number crunchers do, is to make it look good on paper and talk someone into buying the whole thing and he definitely seems to be a number cruncher.

[deleted] t1_ixwk8l6 wrote

I'm not arguing about specific companies under the umbrella, my experience is as a whole corporation with what I've worked on. Americans are easily sold on shit plot lines.

MeasurementNo0 t1_ixwkbiw wrote

I think you have the best idea. Just make cheap horror movies. Raise the rates on HBO Max.

Pause on the superhero projects.

ApeOver t1_ixy88ny wrote

Cheap horror movies kept MGM afloat for ages

nariusone t1_ixwqt7m wrote

"If I was them, I would concentrate on making low-budget films (kinda like a starting from scratch strategy, while concentrating on it's most popular franchises (i.e. DCU, Harry Potter etc)."

Low budget DCU movies? While that is not impossible, it is going to be an uphill climb as the audience is very used to flashy CGI, and big comic book battles. I suppose they can focus on the smaller characters, but that means superman and batman are out. Superman is not cheap if you want to do him right.

GreenlightProduction OP t1_ixwvzwv wrote

I didn't mean DC films. I meant just low budget singular films. Like, Bad Education, Hala, Hotel Artemis, I Tonya, Late Night, etc. Literally any film that has been on the Black List.

FlashbackUniverse t1_ixwf8ev wrote

What they need is a good match for Ezra Miller Flash movie.

Something like...

Kanye as Green Lantern.

−2

[deleted] t1_ixwjak5 wrote

Won't miss them. Can't stand working on their shit productions. They make mediocre tv series at best.

−3

Particular-Ad-4772 t1_ixwv1ql wrote

I am totally Anti woke .

But, I can get behind ( not literally) pro woke propaganda films

Making cheap pro woke propaganda films would be clever . The free advertising from media on both sides would be off the charts , controversial sales, and many people would watch it out of curiosity,

I also love a good car accident.

A Low budget pro woke propaganda film would be the only way to go .

Make it !

It’s all about the money .

−5

stressmacher t1_ixxracj wrote

Matrix vs. Gremlins featuring Optimus Prime from the 80s cartoon hit series Transformers. The Trans Trifecta so the Wachowskis can finally have their cake and eat it too

Outrageous_Tank_8356 t1_ixwluvc wrote

How about stop making WOKE movies people don't want to see and stop put your political propaganda in movies

−7

Where_Da_BBWs_At t1_ixxipxa wrote

I agree. If Hollywood insists upon making films of men in bdsm costumes grappling each other and breathing heavily, they need to cut that acceptance towards homosexuality crap.

/s