Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

BillMcCrearysStache t1_iy4ldj0 wrote

Im generally not that much of an emotional person , but every year at the end when Harry gives his toast to George I get a little teary eyed, you understand this movie more and more as you get older too

johnnycoxxx t1_iy5qln8 wrote

To my brother George. The richest man in town.

Jolly_Job_9852 t1_iy89pag wrote

Mr. Gower cabled you need cash, stop. My office instructed to advance you up to $25,000, stop. Hee-haw and Merry Christmas, Sam Wainwright.

Getupkid1284 t1_iy4avve wrote

Like it does every year.

FPG_Matthew t1_iy4h9fg wrote

75th anniversary this year though, so a bit more special

Twigling t1_iy4o7n9 wrote

It was originally released on December 20th 1946 so the 75th anniversary was December 20th 2021. :)

FPG_Matthew t1_iy4p6cy wrote

Aight. Fandango is false advertising then

Twigling t1_iy4r6as wrote

Perhaps they're going by the general release date. It premiered at the Globe Theater in New York on December 20, 1946 but went on general release on January 7, 1947:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_a_Wonderful_Life#Critical_response

but as also stated on that page: "The film was supposed to be released in January 1947, but was moved up to December 1946 to make it eligible for the 19th Academy Awards held in March 1947"

However, a 75th anniversary Blu-ray was released last year on November 16th 2021:

https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Its-a-Wonderful-Life-Blu-ray/299659/

So I guess both years (1946 and 1947) are 'correct' depending on your interpretation. I'd be inclined to go with the 1946 premiere date though because that was when some of the public first saw it.

SaltySteveD87 t1_iy6b3fz wrote

I only saw this movie for the first time a few years ago and was genuinely surprised at how much I enjoyed it. I think labeling it as a Christmas movie is a big disservice; this is a drama film on the level of something like Forrest Gump.

Fogmoose t1_iy6uw8a wrote

I get what you are trying to say, but Forrest Gump? I mean no disrespect to Forrest, but really?!

−1

Fogmoose t1_iy6un8u wrote

I'm sadly old enough to remember it being on practically every channel for weeks every year at the holiday season when I was in my tweens. If I remember correctly, somehow the copyright was allowed to lapse in the '70s, allowing it to be legally shown without having to pay for the priviledge. Thats how I and many others first learned to love it. If you had to turn it off for some reason and missed some of it, it would literally be on again in like 3 hours. And keep in mind this was pre-cable TV. LOL. Then that bozo who owned TNT went and colorized it in the 80's. I remember buying a dollar store VHS tape of the colorized version for like two bucks back in the 90's, and literally turning down the color on my TV so I could enjoy watching it as it was meant to be. It's still in a three-way tie for my top Holiday movie with the original Grinch and A Charlie Brown Christmas. What's so great about it is that it manages to be relevant and meaningful even if you aren't religious. I'm an atheist, and I can still respect and appreciate it's message. EDIT: And OMG Donna Reed was sooo beautiful!

HM9719 t1_iy6o881 wrote

One of the greatest films ever made! Still relatable and relevant beyond its time.

getBusyChild t1_iy5lgie wrote

Hey OP... are you actually Channel 3? I mean wtf even Memphians know better...

−3

MagicaDispelica t1_iy5mxem wrote

Good for it, I’m still not going.

−9