Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

roto_disc t1_ixthaby wrote

> but it’s still Spielberg

Doesn’t carry much weight with the audiences heading the the megaplex these days.

> Are they waiting for the film to rake in better numbers before expanding it?

More like waiting for Oscar noms before expanding.

an_ephemeral_life OP t1_ixtht4k wrote

Sad, but you're probably right. If this was a Marvel film, or it starred The Rock, this would be playing everywhere. I can't ever recall a Spielberg film having such a limited release.

roto_disc t1_ixthwuk wrote

Not that sad. Dude hasn’t made a good picture in over a decade.

Edit: Jesus. Nearly two decades.

−3

an_ephemeral_life OP t1_ixtiw2k wrote

I concur his best days are behind him. (But I think Munich is extremely underrated.) His newest film is getting a lot of buzz. Haven't felt this excited for a new Spielberg film in a long time. I mean, out of all people to feature in a Spielberg flick, none other than David Lynch makes an appearance as John Ford!

roto_disc t1_ixtjab7 wrote

Ha. Perfect. Munich was the line I drew in my head, so we’re very much on the same page. And I, too, think this new picture could be great.

cd637 t1_iy4qxsv wrote

Munich (IMO) was his last truly great film. The Fabelmans is definitely his best work since then.

cd637 t1_iy4qs3k wrote

What are you talking about? Nothing good in the last two decades, since 2002?? Catch me if you Can? Minority Report? Munich? Lincoln? Bridge of Spies? West Side Story? All of these range from good to great! Sure there have been a few others in this time period that were more meh, but still adequate films for the most part. And now we have The Fabelmans which is by far his best since Munich which I think was his last truly great film.