Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

cd637 t1_iy4s5e3 wrote

It's playing in about 9 theaters total in the greater Seattle area (about a 30 mile radius). This is less than half of all theaters in the region I would say. Almost all that are showing it are megaplex style cinemas. The smaller artsy theaters aren't showing it.

an_ephemeral_life OP t1_iy52dbu wrote

The release strategy is totally off, not just for this film but many other films as well. It's head-scratching. So it comes as no surprise this was the worst Thanksgiving weekend ever for movies https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/worst-thanksgiving-weekend-box-office-205240754.html

cd637 t1_iy58bjm wrote

Adult dramas like this just don't seem to be relevant to the under 40 crowd. A lot of people in the younger generations have TikTok brains now and want fast and snappy engrossing entertainment that push new boundaries and that are more culturally relevant. A talky drama just doesn't have universal appeal anymore. Also for Spielberg in particular, I think he has been slowly falling out of relevancy since he released Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. That was like a turning point in his late career and his movies have not brought in as much money as they did before that point. I really do believe that The Fabelmans is his best work since the early/mid 2000s so it's a shame a lot of people aren't see it. Hopefully it gets a big awards season push because this is going to be a frontrunner.

an_ephemeral_life OP t1_iy63tch wrote

Yeah it seems like at this rate The Fabelmans will really need to score some nominations (and it sounds like it certainly will), and then maybe benefit from the "Oscar bounce." Your positive comments on the film are getting me excited, something I haven't felt for a Spielberg film in a long time. It sounds like this generation's Cinema Paradiso (if you've seen it, how does it compare to that film?), and a cameo by David Lynch. I need to see that on the biggest screen possible!