Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Hs39163 t1_ixlsmq6 wrote

Why are Power Rangers included? It literally says in the article that the toys are based on the shows.

Sky2Life t1_ixm3w7m wrote

Wish they would have stayed with the previous reboot the 2017 one was actually surprisingly good, I really enjoyed a lot about it

IaintShaq98 OP t1_ixlt7ky wrote

I scratched my head, but after looking again, I think Power Rangers have action figures and sets from Bandai and Hasbro that have never appeared on the show. Netflix is pulling from concepts outside of the ongoing TV series for inspiration so it's inspired from the toys as well as other aspects of the media franchise.

Hs39163 t1_ixltkko wrote

Power Rangers lore runs deeper than I thought!

IaintShaq98 OP t1_ixlu018 wrote

Don't Feel Bad, my source is "The Toys That Made Us" on Netflix. I found out how serious the franchise was from that. I grew up on Mighty Morphin', Zeo and Turbo. I stopped after that.

Hs39163 t1_ixnuyx5 wrote

Was Turbo the one with the shapeshiftjng little kid as the Blue Ranger? I dipped out after that, too lol.

CptNonsense t1_ixmu0m8 wrote

Except the toys are just from the show? There's nothing to be inspired from from the toys, there's no standalone Power Ranger toy content.

latortillablanca t1_ixlz5qo wrote

It’s a common mistake: the toys are based on the shows that are based on toys based on shows

swagdudeguy69 t1_ixlrkuk wrote

UNO?!?!!?

IaintShaq98 OP t1_ixlswyn wrote

That's the weirdest entry on the list. It's also a Heist film. No disrespect, but judging from the casting, I think that movie will remain in development hell and they'll keep switching the script and cast over and over again.

VaguelyShingled t1_ixmuayo wrote

We stole your gems!

uno reverse card No u

Leo_TheLurker t1_ixn2g7f wrote

In the grand finale you think the gang gets caught but they open the vault to an Uno reverse card

edmonkh t1_ixlmsz8 wrote

I am excited for the dungeons and dragon, I loved the cartoon when I was a kid, hope the movie is good

MC4269 t1_ixlwo3r wrote

Honestly, it looked kinda fun from the trailer. I have next to no knowledge of D&D, but it looked like a fun adventure/fantasy movie.

MoobyTheGoldenSock t1_ixm8m54 wrote

The trailer actually nails the feel of the game really well. While shows like Stranger Things show super serious high level play, the trailer’s plot of, “We were supposed to do X but we did Y instead and now everything’s gone to hell” is how most games actually go.

And then the rest of the trailer is just packing references to as many things from the game as possible. Every item/creature/spell/etc you see is pulled straight out of the rulebooks.

The only obvious corner they cut is that technically druids in the game can’t become owlbears, but the general consensus of the community is that it looks cool and nails the overall theme of druids from the game, so it gets a pass.

IMO it looks like it’s designed so that people who know nothing about the game can just watch it and get it.

CptNonsense t1_ixmuai4 wrote

The movie is an adaptation of a written adventure.

IaintShaq98 OP t1_ixlmzju wrote

I was never into D&D as a kid, but got introduced to it from the Community episode. It's also a big focus on Stranger Things. I'm interested in the upcoming film though.

Leo_TheLurker t1_ixn2hpj wrote

I'm really surprised how fun it looks. I love a good ensemble adventure

MC4269 t1_ixlwfp2 wrote

I've been kind of excited for the Masters of the Universe movie for several years now. As a huge fan of that brand, it does have potential if they don't screw it up.

DMPunk t1_ixm2ihl wrote

It's a balancing act between leaning into the absurdity of it all that the audience gets caught up in the fun, but not so far into it that it becomes parody

Cannaewulnaewidnae t1_ixm7b1i wrote

I fail to see the absurdity of Arnold Schwarzenegger wearing a Brian Jones wig and fur bikini briefs

Please explain

[deleted] t1_ixnb1gk wrote

[deleted]

−3

JC-Ice t1_ixndp9w wrote

Smith's got shat on because promotion for it hyped "The Return of He-Man" and it was mostly "Teela's Quest".

And it was also hyped as a "sequel to the original series", which was a kids' show, but this had grisly deaths.

[deleted] t1_ixns4z2 wrote

[deleted]

−6

JC-Ice t1_ixo6xzx wrote

> Its in every way a sequel to the original,

Actually, because of rights issues, it's technically not. That's also why they didn't even mention anything from She-Ra at all.

Had the marketing been more honest about what they were making it probably would have been received better. And Kevin Smith would have spared himself at least half a dozen social media crying sessions.

[deleted] t1_ixonc8p wrote

[deleted]

−2

JC-Ice t1_ixoxh5k wrote

But you still wouldn't have a fucking point that wss worth a damn.

IaintShaq98 OP t1_ixlmuvw wrote

Pandemic, Monopoly, and Clue lend themselves well to storytelling. Battleship too (even though the studio released that bad movie in 2012).

jerichomega t1_ixlyabj wrote

That Battleship movie is bad but goddamn if I don’t enjoy the stupidity.

DonCreech t1_ixmjmy2 wrote

Going to be hard to beat the 1985 Clue movie with Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn, Christopher Lloyd, etc.

MattTheSmithers t1_ixm7zwk wrote

“Damn you Rock’em, Sock’em Robots! Can’t we all just get along!?”

Adrien_Jabroni t1_ixmaa5f wrote

I’m surprised they haven’t made a Funko movie yet.

tegs_terry t1_ixm67y1 wrote

Monopoly? Uno? Dumb. He-Manz? Yes please! Best science-fantasy property going after Jack Vance's Dying Earth universe.

elcornholioporque t1_ixobkxd wrote

wheres Defenders of Earth , Dino Riders , MASK (Mobile armed strike kommand) , Bravestarr ?

Blackstar was a toon first but they did make figures later

lebocajb t1_ixoj6qn wrote

Man, this is grim. We are scraping the bottom of the barrel, culturally. Were the Romans writing plays like this before their empire fell?

paperDisgrace t1_ixmkix7 wrote

This feels like the writer had an idea for a headline, and then needed to stretch the definition of "toy" and "based on" as far as possible to write something to fit the headline. It is absurd to call D&D a "toy".

nowhereman136 t1_ixoy86x wrote

Real Steel with Hugh Jackman was a Rock em Sock em Robots

Speed Racer was more of a Hot Wheels movie than it was a Speed Racer movie