Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

FandomMenace t1_iy2heu7 wrote

The thing I noticed about British actors is that they have no qualms whatsoever about hiring an actor based on their merits above their looks. They have some of the ugliest actors in the business, and some of the best, and it's absolutely refreshing. The result is you tend to be more immersed. Contrast that with the opposite approach of the "hire the prettiest, shittiest actors" where you get a lot of empty, bad shows that are easy to see the actors running lines, or struggling with crying scenes, etc.

oscarx-ray t1_iy2w7qt wrote

David Thewlis is - by any measure- an outstanding actor. Put him up against any *picture perfect* American actor and he - with Gary Oldman - will act them under the table. Are they vile, and impossible to behold? No. Are they gorgeous, with perfect white teeth? Also no. But they learned a craft and are lauded in the highest regard for good reason.

Beta_Ray_Trill OP t1_iy2i72g wrote

This makes sense, and it is refreshing. Of course it’s good to see better actors get cast because they’re better at acting and not better looking. So does this mean they might have better actors as a whole like I was saying? At least employed actors?

FandomMenace t1_iy2iws8 wrote

America has a population that dwarfs both countries, so it has a larger pool of people to draw from. On top of thar, entertainment is one of our biggest exports, and everyone knows the industry is bigger here, and very well-funded.

That said, I feel like British TV is just more classic and classier. They do less gimmicky shit and stick to raw talent and great fucking writing.

I can't speak to Australian TV because I haven't seen any.

I would try to think less about who is the best and more about enjoying both US and British TV for their strengths. Foreign TV and movies in general ate pretty fantastic. Squid Game showed us Korea has arrived. The empress is very well done (Austrian). French movies are 10/10 for drama. Canada is a mecca for sci fi. Japan's animation is the best in the world. Get out there and see what the world is doing.