Submitted by Imposingtitle t3_z2y9ru in movies

Honestly their are too many for me to list so here are just some criteria that makes them unworthy of a sequel, threequel or franchise. (not an exhaustive list so go ahead and share your own.)

1. Some sequels that didn't need to be made but because of the greed of the company they made them.
  2. Some movies were contractually obligated to make a sequel or lose money.
  3. Some studios get lazy on the 3rd installment and make a subpar movie compared to the first 2. (ie. The Godfather 1 & 2, The Terminator 1 & 2, TMNT 1&2 They all had 2 great first installments but the third felt forced or unnecessarily lazy.)

Also they just made a sequel to RIPD which was a horrible train wreck and no one asked for a sequel. Seems like a contractual obligation movies to me so they wouldn't lose more money or whatever.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

RudigherJones t1_ixiyedr wrote

The Matrix was perfect as a standalone film.

Imposingtitle OP t1_ixj7au9 wrote

Wholeheartedly agree. I wanted the sequels or anything that tied in so bad and am glad we got them but they completely ruined the first one in retrospect. Thus in hindsight the dream was better than the reality of what we got. I heard the creators stole the story and that is also why the sequels did not do so well since they actually lack the creativity to make something on their own. but i dont know i just wish the sequels stood up. The action was great but that also was taken from animes.

Hotdog_Ketchup t1_ixj25mg wrote

True, but the sequels are very good as well

IceLord86 t1_ixj3lb8 wrote

The sequels are in fact not very good

Dr_Mantis_Teabaggin t1_ixj43sh wrote

The sequels get progressively worse until they reach the newest one which is easily bottom 5 worst movies I’ve ever seen material.

The_Stank__ t1_ixj6bal wrote

Once I realized the newest one was a parody of itself to keep WB from moving the franchise forward without the Wachowskis, I appreciated it more. It’s absolutely just poking fun at itself.

JohnCavil01 t1_ixjusx5 wrote

Ok - but why did that mean it had to also be bad?

The_Stank__ t1_ixjys65 wrote

Because it’s an inherent parody. WB was going to move along without them and Lana basically said nope, I’ll do it.

And instead of continuing the story thoughtfully she made a parody on reboots and remakes. I like that it was kind of an unintended nail in the coffin for the series.

JohnCavil01 t1_ixjzpl3 wrote

Yeah but just because something’s a parody doesn’t mean the performances have to be terrible.

I hear this argument a lot and it just feels like covering for the fact that Lana Wachowski made a bad movie. In terms of satire and parody it’s about as subtle as sledgehammer and worst of all it’s just plain boring. If she didn’t have an idea but knew the movie was going to get made anyway rather than making a half-asses movie that people were going to pay $15-20 a pop to see she could have just let somebody else do it on the off chance they actually had a good idea for a sequel.

Which isn’t so much to ask since the Wachowskis demonstrated twice that they didn’t really have an idea for sequels before.

The_Stank__ t1_ixk09lj wrote

Idk, I thought it was fine. The sequels weren’t great so for me it wasn’t much of a loss.

IceLord86 t1_ixjzsba wrote

It wasn't a good parody though. If that's what they wanted then fine, but it wasn't well done and was an unfocused mess that wanted to have it both ways and IMO failed at both.

Hotdog_Ketchup t1_ixj433l wrote

That is in fact not true, they are good

ShutUpRedditor44 t1_ixjmc5w wrote

Redditors confusing opinions for facts any 100% wr gg ez no cap

^i ^love ^all ^the ^matrix ^movies

WhyWorryAboutThat t1_ixjd298 wrote

No, but two of the three of them happen to be full of some of the most insane shit I've ever seen, so they are at least worth watching.

kingzilch t1_ixiv73d wrote

First Blood was a chilling story of how veterans of the Vietnam war were abandoned by the government that sent them to war, and abused by people back home. Rambo: First Blood Part 2 was a revenge fantasy for baby boomers whose ego couldn't handle the US losing the war.

momohatch t1_ixj1iu1 wrote

Pacific Rim. The first was a fantastic mecha kaiju anime come to life. The second was a steaming pile of kaiju sh*t.

WhyWorryAboutThat t1_ixjdupm wrote

This is a good answer because the second one sucked because of how they tried to turn it into a franchise. They killed off a fan favorite Japanese character to replace her with Jing Tian, whose whole Hollywood career is just being fit uselessly into movies so they can advertise a Chinese actress to the huge Chinese film market. They did a time skip so they could replace the rest of the cast with young adults and teenagers who could easily be locked into multi-film contracts. They did away with the heavy, slow moving powerful robots to turn them all into weightless superheroes. And instead of the movie being full of badass kaiju battles, there's just one at the end but it's bigger. Total crap.

VladtheInhaler999 t1_ixiv7hi wrote

Paranormal Activity. I felt it could have experienced the same cultural phenomena as The Blair Witch Project but sequels released consecutively every year really killed it.

mikeyfreshh t1_ixiyhms wrote

Ironically the Blair Witch sequels are infinitely worse than the Paranormal Activity sequels, most of which are actually pretty watchable.

JohnCavil01 t1_ixjv8vd wrote

Yes both Blair Witch sequels are not fantastic BUT I will at least give the 2000 one credit for having a really really interesting and ambitious premise for what would usually have just been a cynical cash-grab.

It’s a shame the execution left so much to be desired. But the idea of a fictional movie about events in the real world happening in the wake of the Blair Witch Project movie phenomenon is a really ambitious idea.

I’ll also give the director some credit - the editing was heavy altered by the studio and if the editing/sequence of events had been presented as originally intended it would definitely be a better movie….hiring better actors and having less ridiculous comedy might have also helped haha.

WhisperingSideways t1_ixj07nj wrote

I'll go on record and defend Part II, because it has an interesting premise that threads itself concurrently into the first one. You can watch them in either order and it still works.

flights_not_feelings t1_ixiug5z wrote

Jurassic World! They could have made dominion so much better. Like why advertise dinosaurs living amongst humans in the trailers and then barely show that in the movie?! And the T-Rex at the Drive in scene… Hello where was that??

riegspsych325 t1_ixj038z wrote

I thought Trevorrow couldn’t possibly make a worse movie until Dominion came out. I mean, he wrote a character that self-procreated and then fucking birthed her own clone in a shitty dinosaur movie about locusts

AnotherStupidApe t1_ixj05di wrote

The first Jurassic Park was the only good one and the others don't deserve the same title. Overuse of CG, along with poor acting and even worse plots has really plagued the most recent ones.

JasonKruegerCrowley t1_ixkvipt wrote

Extended cut is the "real cut" of Dominion and it's a better film all around. It has the Trex scene at the drive inn and a bunch of other improvements.

flights_not_feelings t1_ixkyej2 wrote

What omg I need to watch it.

JasonKruegerCrowley t1_ixl5v4t wrote

Yeah, the theatrical was butchered for a shorter run time and you can tell. Like the scene when Ellie sees the devastation of the crops and says "I hear you caught a live one"? It just cuts away in the theatrical to Alan but in the extended, you follow her into the house. Tons of new scenes, extended scenes, dino action, it's the definitive cut and actually changed it's ranking in the series for the better!

JohnCavil01 t1_ixjuz2c wrote

This kind of implies that Jurassic World itself wasn’t a terrible sequel…which it most certainly was.

Reelplayer t1_ixj1a0t wrote

But in the case of Godfather or Terminator, they did deserve a sequel, both after the first one and the second one. It's just that the second sequel didn't deliver. I believe a better example would be Taken. It's a fun movie, but nowhere near interesting enough to continue the storyline. Jaws is another good example.

JohnCavil01 t1_ixjvkxk wrote

Actually, I think that while The Godfather II is obviously a very well made movie it feels really redundant and just treads the same themes and essentially the same character arc as the first one.

rhyd1978 t1_ixja3ux wrote

Robocop did not need sequels

WhisperingSideways t1_ixnjhut wrote

I appreciate Robocop 2 the same way I appreciate Gremlins 2, as their own weird thing that exist separately from the original. And I just love that Irvin Kirschner directed The Empire Strikes Back 8 years prior to R2.

sarmadness t1_ixj21ng wrote

Highlander

PM_Ur_Goth_Tiddys t1_ixjhuqn wrote

the final dimension may have been awful but teenage me sure appreciated that sex scene on an easily accessible vhs

i wore that and desperado tf out

ShallowUnicorn t1_ixjmcpz wrote

Mortal Kombat I feel they has a pretty decent cast and even though the CGI wasn’t great in the first one I liked it but the sequel was garbage and I didn’t care for the reboot

JohnCavil01 t1_ixjvsvt wrote

….yeah…..when’s the last time you watched the original Mortal Kombat?

00collector t1_ixj0vxo wrote

Fast and the Furious

The first was a mediocre crime story at best.

FiremanPCT2016 t1_ixj2gxv wrote

I like how realistic the series remained over time. It follows a logical trajectory starting with plots to steal DVD players and ending with launching a car into space to ram into a satellite. /s

CriminalGoose3 t1_ixjh67d wrote

Can't sell stolen DVD players if everyone is streaming movies from satellites.lol

Jedi_Metal t1_ixj0vzu wrote

Sicario, though I liked the sequel it didn't hold up to the first imo. The sequel had a few plot holes, it never needed a sequel. Maybe an anthology series?

One thing I noticed, the horrors in the first Sicario were present. The gory details, the anxiety, and that haunting song call "The Beast" from the movie's score.

2nd movie felt like a live action of Ghost Recon Wildlands.

Buhos_En_Pantelones t1_ixj5qks wrote

The most basic of basic answers: Jurassic Park.

It was a great premise for a great (book) movie. Where do you go with this idea? Apparently nowhere except for the same tired retread of the first one. Dinosaurs get out, people run away from them. Rinse and repeat.

The worst part is, they could've actually gone in some interesting directions with this franchise, but alas...

SWHLuke t1_ixj3avf wrote

The Hangover, Dumb and Dumber, Hot Tub Time Machine

Appropriate_Focus402 t1_ixjm29k wrote

Arguably, all of the sequels could have been good. Dumb and Dumber in particular could have been great if it was made in 1999 and retained the same feel.

kaluanabanana t1_ixjn97t wrote

Pirates of the Caribbean The first film was fun and entertaining, but then it got worse and worse with every further movie

AmeriChimera t1_ixkhdyt wrote

I kind of respect the series as a trilogy (Elizabeth Swan has a pretty good growth arc), but I really wished they had let it go there.

My dad quoted Barbosa like the typical goofy dad he is for a decade after the first film, but I apologized for taking him to see the latest one lol.

bcraig8870 t1_ixiye3u wrote

I can’t even begin to make that list. It would be in the hundreds. And not the low hundreds.

Justme100001 t1_ixj0g22 wrote

Most of the time the only sequels that make sense is when the movie is too long for one part (LOTR, Hunger Games). So many sequels are just cashing in on the first movie....

dasch63 t1_ixjoaq8 wrote

Anything made by tyler perry

Moffee t1_ixjrdyd wrote

Saw.

It works so well as a one and done but in true fashion the show must go on with progressively worse entries, with y really only the tantalising threat of a last minute twist which could never match one. Plus there's the endless mystery plot devices and questions that are only answered the sequel after.

It's bananas. And the twist to the last one was just annoying, though I didn't see Spiral...

Flat_Cockroach2876 t1_ixjxcla wrote

Lethal weapon, the first one is a dark movie about a cop wanting to die and the rest are just comedies.

McDummy t1_ixjzc1o wrote

Aliens, Batman returns, most of the direct to video hellraiser movies…if you added remakes,reboots, and prequels….woof.

WatchMoreMovies t1_ixkh81p wrote

The one that blows my mind is Jarhead. Because the original is a pretty cynical, autobiographical war story and it somehow has 2 sequels that are generic Rambo ripoffs featuring made up people in no way connected to the first film.

barbie_turik t1_ixlgb44 wrote

Someone already mentioned the sequel to Donnie Darko, so I'm bringing up two other very left field sequels that I don't think anyone asked for: Staying Alive (Saturday Night Fever 2), and Grease 2

graceyfloo t1_ixj0csr wrote

Despite some great moments over the years, Halloween would have been better off as a standalone film than the total mess it has become, with three separate timelines, a completely unrelated sequel, and whatever the hell ENDS was. An argument could be made for certain other popular horror franchises, but this one wins first prize for completely bastardizing something that was truly great.

Also Darko, but no one really paid to see that so I'll let it go.

JohnCavil01 t1_ixjw58q wrote

I will hear no slander against Halloween 3: Season of the Witch!

The Halloween franchise should have been the anthology it was intended to be all along and Halloween 3 demonstrates exactly why. It’s totally different, it’s spooky, there are some genuinely horrifying things in it, and it’s a self-contained story.

Imagine if instead of having 16 Michael Meyers movies and 1 movie that does literally anything else we could have had a series of half a dozen or so, maybe more, Halloween movies that you could select from during the season.

McDummy t1_ixk0pjn wrote

Halloween has so many reboots and retcons before retcon or reboot was even a word that I just gave up on caring.

Maddie215 t1_ixj1pi0 wrote

Shrek. Unpopular opinion I know but I didn't like the first one.

loverofonion t1_ixmfq1u wrote

Whichever ones started off the comic book movie obsessions.