Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

-SneakySnake- t1_j2fdlfz wrote

You don't rate him?

JimmyDaro t1_j2fdqbd wrote

I thought he portrayed a conceivable person.

-SneakySnake- t1_j2feg4v wrote

I think he was extremely entertaining and the actual portrayal was excellent, but with all the little quirks and nuances I just can't picture him being the kind of person he's said to be, this pillar of the local community and esteemed academic who the FBI's best and brightest managed to almost miss entirely. Even in Red Dragon where they flashback and show Hannibal before he was caught, he just seems like a Bond villain. Hopkins is one of the best actors alive and his Hannibal is so iconic for a reason, but he seems more like a demon than a person.

JimmyDaro t1_j2ff64s wrote

Part of the problem is that he portrayed it out of chronological order. I would agree with Red Dragon-which is more attributable IMO of him playing up to the mythos of Lector he created in SOTL and Hannibal.

In SOL you see flashes of how it could conceivably blend in with his calm, and charming demeanor. I'd say the same in the first part of Hannibal as well.

Mads is actually my personal favourite performance, but it's a much more out there concept than the previous iterations.

And we can all agree to just forget about the young Hannibal prequel.

-SneakySnake- t1_j2ffigz wrote

We can definitely agree to forget about young Hannibal. Of all the characters that didn't need a sympathetic backstory told in prequel form, it was Hannibal Lecter.

JimmyDaro t1_j2fe5r6 wrote

I thought he portrayed a conceivable person.