Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

the_other_50_percent t1_j22mkzo wrote

In the scene when George snaps at his family, she does so much more than what you described, which would be the “support the man and be virtuous” trope. She sees that he’s off and might harm the children, and calls him out for it, cleverly and maturely blocking it from getting any worse.

In no way does Mary force George to stay. They were on their way to travel on their honeymoon, and it’s not like they were going to stay abroad or had plans to live elsewhere immediately. They could have sold the house once they fixed it up - and they couldn’t have afforded anything in better shape, it seemed.

Mary knew how to get George jealous so that he would finally make a move on her, arranged to buy a house and whip up a last-minute loving plan B of a honeymoon. She kept George from getting in his own way over indecision, frustration, anger, and pride. He was always a wonderful person, but likely wouldn’t have had the wonderful life full of so many friends and grateful customers without Mary.

And as we saw thanks to a Clarence, her life wouldn’t have been wonderful without her purposeful love with George.

chicojuarz t1_j22r434 wrote

Totally agree about the scene when George snaps. I also get the sense in this scene that it’s far from the first time he’s complained about his life. He’s dissatisfied and he’s let her know it time and again. She seems like she listens but still knows she has to keep shit together for the family. Which she does again but without knowing that this time is different.

the_other_50_percent t1_j22s47t wrote

I think you’re absolutely right. She’s not shocked at his ill-temper. She’s on guard, checking in on everyone and giving a George little warnings hoping he’ll rein it in, but when he doesn’t, she handles it.

It’s a wonderful (ha) love story, but not a fairy tale of sugary happiness.

After all, the S&L is saved, but Potter doesn’t give the deposit back. Their work and financial lives won’t change.

chicojuarz t1_j22so1d wrote

That aspect is exactly why I think this movie is still so loved nearly 80 years later. Sure there’s a corny out dated part here and there but the story is so rooted in common disappointment and not resolving every problem that it stays timeless (of course the absolutely perfect acting job by Jimmy Stewart helps)

Hawkgal t1_j23ot1q wrote

Little bit off topic but that’s why I love the SNL “lost ending” so much! Plus it’s got Phil Hartman in it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vw89o0afb2A

the_other_50_percent t1_j23qfpq wrote

Never seen that before, thanks! Great use of Dana Carvey’s Jimmy Stewart impression.

dadamax t1_j257cxs wrote

Good point. This is shown when he kicks his car tire after Sam shows up bragging about driving to Florida.