Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

chicojuarz t1_j22qs2f wrote

Her fainting will always crack me up tho. It’s just so wildly over dramatic.

cearrach t1_j24ebpz wrote

IMO the idea that she would be an "old maid" without George is rather preposterous.

BillMcCrearysStache t1_j25d30z wrote

SHES AT THE LIBRARYYYYY! as if its some kind of horrible fate lol

DSOddish t1_j25e72d wrote

It's especially funny because Clarence talks about it like it's the most horrible fate of any of George's friends and family, but comes right off the heels of George learning his own brother died as a child because he wasn't there to save him.

cearrach t1_j25g2qx wrote

Well, that raises another thing - everything else changed significantly, but Harry went sliding at the same place at the same time to drown.

frickyfrackandme t1_j24hcqy wrote

She previously told George that she would have been an old maid without him, so perhaps she knew, somehow.

cearrach t1_j24i5vg wrote

Yeah, that line was foreshadowing - excellent bit of dialogue.

WiserStudent557 t1_j25k3kl wrote

Sure but if you believe at all in soul mates or divorce rates you can see that not “settling” for a partner is a fine personal choice. Sure she could’ve just found some/any husband

cearrach t1_j25mxx8 wrote

George Bailey did have some fine character traits, but there are a few things that make me question what Mary saw in him compared to others in the town.

• he had a fairly bad temper
  • he's pretty rude
  • when she asked him not to throw the rock, he did anyway
  • he criticized and complained about the house she worked hard to fix up

Even when he returns back home near the end, he barely listens to what she's trying to say and practically molests her.

If George represents the best that Bedford Falls has to offer, I guess I understand why she spurned everyone else!

sushkunes t1_j26r60p wrote

We’re supposed to be seeing George on some of his worst days, though (Brother almost dies, boss almost kills someone, Dad dies, business almost being dissolved, kid brother abandons plan to let him finally leave town, honeymoon cancelled, etc…).

George is a not a particularly nice person but he’s a very good person, and I fully appreciate that Mary sees that from day one and falls in love with his heart, sense of humor, love for neighbors, work ethic and more.

cearrach t1_j26tu34 wrote

Absolutely! We definitely see the most trying times - that's what makes a good movie.

And Mary is the rock that keeps him steady through all of it. Without Mary he probably would have gone traveling.

Decabet t1_j255981 wrote

To be fair she was a hot single librarian in a town that was a little rapey before it became "Pottersville" ("We'll wait for ya, baby")

SlumgullySlim t1_j22rba5 wrote

If it was remade, I doubt they would have the actor do that now!