Submitted by JimmyJamsDisciple t3_zxxjp4 in movies

Sorry if that’s a mouthful, I’m too busy trying not to forget this thought because it’s so specific. For example, the sequence where moltisanti makes a sandwich for the Czech guy who he murders early in season one. This scene tickled that part of my brain that doesn’t get tickled often in horror movies so if anyone has suggestions that capture the overall weird, surreal, and creepy vibe of this scene they would be greatly appreciated. Scene in question: https://youtu.be/f8rto8GTP2Y

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

roto_disc t1_j22t1qx wrote

You should look into David Lynch's filmography.

Fearless_Plant1220 t1_j22vdz0 wrote

Inland Empire. Twin Peaks Season 3. The Shining (of course). Lost Highway. Generation P. There are more but these were the most clear.

superfeds t1_j230j2d wrote

Color Out Of Space

I’ll second the Lynch stuff tho. He more than anyone creates a dreamlike state in his films.

ZorroMeansFox t1_j235883 wrote

The Winkie's Diner scene in David Lynch's Mulholland Drive should be right up you alley --near the dumpster.

SmokedaJ t1_j23kmsk wrote

Pleeease watch 'Veronica' on netflix, its in spanish but its the best horror movie ive seen and it has scenes like this.

unclelue t1_j23vdfo wrote

Not a horror film but you may like Barton Fink.

Ftimis t1_j241na2 wrote

I put off delving into Lynch stuff for years because while I very much crave for the offbeat weird/creepy/anxiety-inducing/dreamlike/surreal vibe, David Lynch is praised everywhere for that, and partly I was afraid that his work wouldn't live up to the expectations that I'd formed, while another part of me was kind of "saving them" for when I felt I'd reached a level of emotional maturity and media literacy, so that their meaning and purpose wouldn't be lost on me, in a sense. I'm 28 years old and I finally made the jump some months ago.

I started with Blue Velvet because everyone was saying that it's by far one of his most accessible projects (not counting the Straight Story of course). And while I liked it, my initial impression was that it was way goofier and more mundane than I expected. Getting into Twin Peaks right after kinda gave power to that opinion as well. But all the while, there was a reoccurring sensation. Not dread, not anxiety, something that I couldn't quite put my finger on.

Having now seen the entirety of Twin Peaks plus the biggest chunk of his filmography, I revised my opinion on Blue Velvet, because the man is pure genius and I cannot fathom how he consistently achieves the effect he does on my psyche through his movies. Mulholland Drive being the absolute pinnacle.

The closest way I can describe it is that when I watch something made by David Lynch, it feels like I've already lived the emotions it conveys, and I've already been in all the liminal rooms and locations it shows. I'm not watching a movie for the first time. I'm just unlocking the memory by watching it. No other piece of media apart from Lynch's works has ever done this to me, and I can truly say that I feel his brand of surrealism and horror now.

TL;DR I heavily second looking into Lynch's work, OP.

SweetCosmicPope t1_j25mn1n wrote

Everyone here has already recommended Lynch, and I agree. Especially Mullholland Drive and Lost Highway.

I'd also suggest I'm Thinking of Ending Things, though it's kind of a slow burn before it starts getting really crazy.