Submitted by picklefire786 t3_10pdeq8 in movies

Been looking for a good scary movie this weekend and all the rest (like Fear) look lame. My tolerance break ends this weekend and I love seeing scary movies while baked, so will this be a good choice to make me scared shitless or just meh?

If this is not a good choice I’ll probably stick to everything everywhere all at once again, if that’s a better choice

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

WeDriftEternal t1_j6jrlfi wrote

Its not a horror or scary movie at all... its 'fear' is from suspense and weirdness.

blucthulhu t1_j6jrt7y wrote

Not really. Some disturbing imagery/scenarios but it's more odd than frightening.

mikeyfreshh t1_j6jsecf wrote

It's more gross than anything and I mean that as a compliment

catcodex t1_j6k0554 wrote

We have no idea what scares you.

HEHEHO2022 t1_j6jtnuk wrote

you will need to watch it to see whether YOU find it scary others people taste arent always the same as yours

LowGradePlayer t1_j6jt70y wrote

I still consider The Exorcist to be both super scary and an outstanding film.

beyoncedoritosJR t1_j6jtt4u wrote

I got real baked and had a great time.

picklefire786 OP t1_j6jvuiz wrote

Good stuff. Most of these comments are saying it wasn’t scary but more so weird and gross, was it at least entertaining?

beyoncedoritosJR t1_j6k7lpu wrote

It’s real good! There are some of those “trippy drug scenes” that go on a little too long, the edible (and I think I had a few beers by then) helped with that though, I had a good time.

The last 30 minutes is a bit of a drag as the story wraps up, but overall I think it’s a really good movie.

BeanBoy505 t1_j6k3co6 wrote

No, it is not scary in a traditional sense. I don’t recall any jump scares.

The movie, on the other hand, has a lot of disturbing (sometimes gory/body horror) imagery throughout and explores a lot of disturbing/unnerving themes.

As far as enjoyability goes, i have heard a lot of people familiar with Brandon Cronenberg’s previous work say that it was good, but not quite as good as Possessor.

Personally, I really enjoyed the film and couldn’t stop thinking about it for a couple of days. It has a unique story, and thought it was executed very well. If disturbing movies are your thing, I highly recommend this one.

Rogers_Ebert t1_j6k49kx wrote

Its one of the very few films you'll see nowadays in theaters with great practical effects and interesting camera work. If youre not familiar with Brandon Cronenbergs work he typically has psychedelic sequences of lights shot through mirror boxes or projections through glass panes. These sequences are typically sandwiched in a film that delves deep in human psychology, ego/id, and technology/magic.

If I were to compare him to anyone it would be Fincher, Lynch, and of course his father.

Is it scary? Not really. Its more disturbing with graphic sequences intended for mature adults. The graphic imagery is not used as a grotesquery but serves the story and character develpment.

IOnlySayMeanThings t1_j6kdzi1 wrote

Pontypool! I'm on a kick trying to get people to watch it. Imagine being in a radio station as a zombie outbreak happens around you. Only they aren't zombies, just.... weird. Almost eldritch. I loved it.