Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

_TheWinemaker_ t1_j65hp6a wrote

I’m going to make a case for 2004:

You had acclaimed blockbuster sequels with Spider-Man 2, Shrek 2, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and The Bourne Supremacy.

Some other acclaimed movies like Collateral, Napoleon Dynamite, Garden State, and Before Sunset.

Popular comedies Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy and Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story were released.

That’s 10 strong summer movies so far.

Even the not so well reviewed movies that summer seemed to entertain a variety of audiences over time or upon release like The Village, The Day After Tomorrow, I,Robot, The Notebook, Troy, Van Helsing, White Chicks, The Chronicles of Riddick, and Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle.

Documentaries also had a very strong year. Fahrenheit 9/11 and Super Size Me. To this day the highest grossing documentary of all time is Fahrenheit 9/11 and Super Size Me gained a lot of attention, even making McDonald’s getting rid of the super size.

It was a very strong summer showing, movies with a lot of different audiences in mind.

Mcclane88 OP t1_j65t5si wrote

2004 would definitely be in my top 3 for that decade. I even enjoyed a lot of the ones you listed that didn’t have critical acclaim. Van Helsing, I, Robot, and Harold and Kumar were a lot of fun at the time.

I didn’t know Collateral came out that Summer. For the most part it seems that August is a dead month for movie releases during Summer, but it is interesting that back then you had Collateral and Signs both coming out in August.