Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Ashamed_Ladder6161 t1_j6infr8 wrote

If you say so. I mean, firstly, there’s not that much violence in his films, it’s just the moments are memorable and make an impact because they often feel out of place, but violent directors include Tarantino, Lynch, Fincher, Cronenberg, Pekinpah, Verhovan, De Palmer, Miike, Stone, Scorsese, Noe, and Haneke. I think you’re pressed to say the bar is low just because a film has violent parts in it. This isn’t an argument to say he deserves to be in the above tier of directors, but I’d argue he is more than he isn’t. Compare him to the hundreds of other violent directors the world has already forgotten because they have no talent, I think he has a promising back catalogue.

gee_gra t1_j6iwf4q wrote

>not that much violence

If you mean like, in terms of number of acts of violence — yeah I guess, but the way he presents violence is intense and lurid in a way that comes off as "there for the sake of it" at certain points for me

Ashamed_Ladder6161 t1_j6jiqa8 wrote

I think they’re repulsive, and a lot of the time that’s what it’s supposed to make you feel; revulsion. Given how little there is of it, and that it rarely lingers, it didn’t feel gratuitous to me. But to each their own.