Submitted by KevTravels t3_10qbmag in movies

Sure he was in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer film and that cowboy film, 8 Seconds. He had a few films that came out post-90210 but apparently they all seemed to fail. Was he just massively overhyped? Did he miss his opportunity by spending nearly six years on a tv show? I think of say George Clooney who was able to do films during his hiatus from E.R. There were other stars of teen dramas like James Van Der Beek who wasn't able to parlay his teen drama fanbase into a movie career.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

the_mighty_hetfield t1_j6p1bo8 wrote

Perry had less acting range and was not as quirky as Depp. Plus he was older when he got famous on 90210.

chadisdangerous t1_j6p2un9 wrote

When Depp had the opportunity to transition into leading roles in movies he decided to work with people like John Waters, Tim Burton and Emir Kusturica. No one would have faulted him if he wanted to do dumb comedies or cop movies or whatever else, but he wanted to do work that he found interesting and challenged him as an actor.

So even putting talent aside Depp was particularly adventurous and was able to brand himself as a versatile and capable actor early in his film career. No disrespect to Luke Perry but he was no Johnny Depp.

Frazzledsoul t1_j6p3c4u wrote

This is the second thread lamenting why Perry wasn't able to become a bigger star in less than a week. Why are you guys trying so hard to dunk on a dead guy?

charleyismyhero t1_j6pf22e wrote

Whenever stuff like this trends I assume some rando tiktok or podcast started it.

turdferguson85 t1_j6pa1g1 wrote

He was in the shadow of his famous half brother, Krusty the clown

graymulligan t1_j6p1igd wrote

Perhaps we shouldn't list Luke Perry in the same "what if" as Johnny Depp or George Clooney.

bourj t1_j6p2o1t wrote

Plus, ER is for adults, while 90210 is for teens. None of the 90210 cast was in a show that rocketed them into giant lead, movie fame. Depp was basically launched by Tim Burton.

Obiwancuntnobi t1_j6pcgot wrote

Luke Perry and Johnny Depp don’t belong in the same conversation. I’m sorry and I’m Not trying to be rude, but that’s a fact. Fir an actor from tv to movies, no one can compared to his rise from tv star to superstar. Sure he’s super weird now, but he still Johnny depp

LeeF1179 t1_j6p7jrh wrote

8 Seconds didn't do very well at the box office.

crimshaw83 t1_j6p64bn wrote

Idk. Most likely cause he wasn't the greatest actor. Not trying to shit on him, just is what it is. His son is an awesome wrestler though!