Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

neverendingchalupas t1_j6lf2c4 wrote

>...the bad guys now for not watching things they don't like.

What does that have to do with the selection process? Films should be chosen based on their strength, is it good art or is it shit. I want to see good films, I dont care about the narrative the selection committee of a film festival is trying to push. The film should stand on its own merit.

Have you been to a film festival and had to sit through endless series of fucking terrible films. And then found out later through the discussion panel they were chosen specifically because of the filmmakers background. What happened to just picking films based on the work?

After awhile you begin to not go to film festivals and just watch only the things you want to watch online. Now it seems the only people who show up to film festivals are the filmmakers and their friends.

If the movie about the 'transphobic gay guy' is good, people are going to watch it, they are watching all the other bullshit, if its good they will probably even pay attention while its playing. It would be at a film festival not at your local theater or streaming on netflix.

Earthling7228320321 t1_j6miq66 wrote

I have never been to a film festival. I mostly watch sci fi, science documentaries and cartoons.

So really I guess my take on this stuff isn't relevant anyway lol

−2