Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

kb_klash t1_irw8s4o wrote

MadaMalkerian t1_is0uqnl wrote

I thought this book took place in Alaska though?

kb_klash t1_is0uxij wrote

Nah, it's about what happened when the Free Staters tried to take over Grafton.

Yellwsub t1_irwuls8 wrote

A Prayer for Owen Meany will always be the tops John Irving novel for me, though Hotel New Hampshire is also good. That book made me understand religious people in a way I never did before, and the way everything comes together at the end is just perfection.

Book_Glow OP t1_irwus15 wrote

Both gems. My fave is Garp. Will you read his new book, The Last Chairlift?

GARGLE_TAINT_SWEAT t1_irw4azl wrote

A Separate Peace is like, third of my list of books from High School required reading that I absolutely hate.

Topped only by Ethan Frome and Catcher.

dojijosu t1_irwkvqs wrote

I am with you on Separate Peace. Catcher in the Rye… give it another chance as an adult. It’s about teenaged full-of-yourself-ness. Hard to detect when you’re a full-of-yourself teenager.

Dacey_M0rm0nt t1_irwmzec wrote

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson is very triggering for people with eating disorders. People have used it as a step-by-step on what to eat to lose weight. The author has stated that she wishes she never wrote it, if she knew it was going to be used in this way. Just a friendly FYI.

EggsAndBeerKegs t1_iry4xfl wrote

(partially) A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson

MartoufCarter t1_irw6gxm wrote

I would not care if it was set in my own town Jodi Picoult is a hard pass. I read one of her books and it was crushing. The Weight of Water is a pretty good book though.

Book_Glow OP t1_irwch8y wrote

Thanks for this! Agree about Weight of Water! Which Picoult was it that was crushing? I remember feeling that way about My Sister's Keeper.

comefromawayfan2022 t1_irwegvg wrote

Pretty much all of them. I've read handle with care,nineteen minutes, my sister's keeper, change of heart, between the lines, pretty much most of them are heavy hitters. Change of heart takes place in NH too. One of the characters that's heavily featured is on death row at the NH state prison in concord

MartoufCarter t1_irwfm48 wrote

That is the one. That ending made me stupid angry and sad. Totally turned me off of her books. Vowed never again.

comefromawayfan2022 t1_irwe11g wrote

Nineteen minutes was a required reading assignment for a college class I was in earlier this spring. Then uvalde,Texas happened and I couldn't finish it. I was re-reading it for class and man it was heartbreaking

Tmsaucy t1_irxhqxb wrote

In my freshman year of high school, all homeroom teachers had to read this book to their students.