Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Crunk_NH t1_itrgaxz wrote

NE Metal Systems. They were great to work with.

justabuffalosoldier OP t1_itrgyzr wrote

Did they install over existing shingles?

Crunk_NH t1_itrl9dc wrote

No, they removed existing metal roof. Not sure you’d want to install a standing seam roof over shingles. It would probably look all wavy and have an “oil can” appearance.

justabuffalosoldier OP t1_itrlzxj wrote

Right, I definitely don't want to install over existing shingles. I'll give them a call for a quote.

wetsockssuckass t1_itnt8h3 wrote

What type of roofing are you after? Metal shake, standing seam or a screw down agricultural panel?

Winter-Radio-5417 t1_itoiusr wrote

If you want solar panels in the future standing seam might be the best and some of those companies pair up with local roofing companies they verify to hold their panels without damaging the roof they warranty.

golden_ange t1_itolxfz wrote

NOT forever metal roofing company

carpdog112 t1_itr9uaf wrote

We used East Coast Metal roofing, but they only do aluminum interlocking metal shingles (no standing seam). We also looked at Advanced Metal Roofing (they do standing seam and shingles) and thought they had a good competitive quote, but they're primarily steel roofing and we decided to go with aluminum. We also got a quote from Classic Metal Roofs, but they came in WAY higher than ECMR. We also tried to get a quote from New England Metal Systems, but they didn't follow through.

justabuffalosoldier OP t1_itrbyn3 wrote

How was ECMR? Did they remove the old shingles? Could you share your pricing per sq foot? Can you share why you chose aluminum over steel? How was the roof held up?

carpdog112 t1_itrxh9g wrote

I liked ECMR. They installed directly on the underlayment (no purlins or furrings), but they will quote in removal of your old roof (I can't remember whether they quote for one or up to two courses of shingles). We also had "them" replace the gutters, since they were in rough shape as it is and there's a good chance your existing gutters are going to be in even rougher shape unless you have a really simple, shallow pitch roof. They contract gutters out at what seems to be cost - although I wasn't a huge fan of the gutter subcontractor. They didn't do a bad job, but did a few things that annoyed me like putting shorter downspout extensions than I would have installed and using too many short lengths of the leaf guards (I get that it saves materials, but it doesn't look as good).

Not including gutters, but including tear down and install of the new ice/water shield, underlayment, roof, and snow cleats it worked out to be around $17.5 per sq. ft. (give or take).

We went with aluminum over steel because aluminum is lighter and is more resistant to oxidation. In the event that your PVDF coating gets damaged/scratched...etc. aluminum will resist corrosion over steel. Also, we don't live directly on the coast, but we are close enough to where it's better safe than sorry in terms of sea air oxidation. Aluminum is more expensive than steel, but when you amortize the price difference over the expected life of the roof it really is negligible.

I would recommend ECMR for your final quote though and be prepared for a hard sell with a "limited time discount". They'll start knocking the price down with a sales promotion and then offer you an additional promotion if you sign now because it "allows them to better manage the costs of the sales quotes". Don't be afraid to lean into the high pressure quote by asking them to see if their manager can further sweeten the deal to help you avoid having to "sleep on it". I hate this style of sales, but if you're expecting it and already have additional quotes for comparison it's not as bad.

justabuffalosoldier OP t1_its5aqv wrote

Appreciate it! We are having ECMR come out. We are having renovations done which require part of the roof to be replaced. So we are exploring doing the while roof. I'll watch out for the hard but this will be done next summer.
I'm curious to see the price differences between aluminum and steel.

2leggedturtle t1_itsj48v wrote

I would use my 94 year old neighbor before using Advanced Metal Roofing again. Just saying…….

justabuffalosoldier OP t1_itsm1dz wrote

Really? Could you go into specifics? The installation process they discussed and the materials seemed top notch.

2leggedturtle t1_itsp9g3 wrote

In general, (1) they didn’t order enough panels (standing seam) to do the job correctly and went and picked up the rest from a different supplier. Tried to tell me “know now would notice” as those were installed in the back. (2) didn’t follow the manufactures instructions. This is true on both the starting panels and the ridge line. I didn’t complain on e the panels as they were doing to job of protecting the sheathing. The ridge line, poor ass job. They were able to re-install without messing up the panels, but needed to remake the ridge line pieces wider.

Top thing to know was back then (may be different now but doubt it) they don’t use employees for installation, they are all sub-contractors.

justabuffalosoldier OP t1_itx6ozm wrote

Thank you for taking the time to write all that.
How long ago was that? I was told they have two in house crews now.
I will heavily review current projects they are doing and read up on manufacturers instructions if we consider Advanced more.