Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Timzawesome t1_ivuofc8 wrote

Be VERY careful if you attempt to fix anything on your garage door. Those springs are serious business and can very easily hurt you if you slip up.

Stickyfynger OP t1_ivuvc0w wrote

Yup totally agree

tylermm03 t1_ivw5aqi wrote

OP please hire a professional. I get that it’s not going to be cheap and it’s gonna suck but garage door springs aren’t something to mess with if you have no idea what you’re doing.

RelationshipJust9556 t1_ivvnxi4 wrote

What happened with the spring? is i part of a wall now? or did the door fail while it wasn't tensiond?

UnfairAd7220 t1_ivwi5ap wrote

They snap. It sounds like you caught an artillery shell.

l337quaker t1_ivvs3ul wrote

Used be in the business.

Service call fee: $85

Labor: $85/hr, service call covers half an hour then billed by 15 minute increments.

Springs (that's what is broken) $75 for the pair

Potentially new cables at $35

Potentially new pulleys at $20

This is all 2010 prices, so probably add 25% for inflation and whatnot.

Stickyfynger OP t1_ivvsbkx wrote

Thank you very much!

BbkingTheGreat t1_ivwgzzs wrote

I work at home depot we sell everything you need to fix this. Springs are only about $20 pulleyes only about 15 and you can just use a certain gauge wire which we sell, pretty cheap. Should be an easy fix for under $75-100 and gain some experience id you youtube it and do it yourself. Plus if something fails you can only blame yourself 😂

UnfairAd7220 t1_ivwhzae wrote

For an experienced mechanic, it could be a cheap fix. Amateurs NEED TO STAY AWAY FROM THOSE SPRINGS.

The force contained in them is equal to a small bomb.

Tristavia t1_ivwiqvm wrote

You install the spring in the unloaded position. There’s literally no tension at all when you’re working on it. Then you leave the garage entirely and use the remote opener to test if it’s working.

It’s really not rocket (or bomb) science…

l337quaker t1_ivxqdqu wrote

Like the one time I was doing a repair and a dude's finger tip fell out of the door on me. The homeowner tried to fix it himself, finger got pinched between the door sections and nipped the end of his finger right off. Lifted up the door to repair it and about a quarter inch of very flat finger landed on my shoulder.

-Codfish_Joe t1_ivu7sev wrote

I got a spring and cable set from the orange box store a few years ago, replaced both springs so their tensions would match each other, it was easy.

Beneficial-Hand4310 t1_ivvolnw wrote

I have a little different approach to the DIY option...I usually buy all the necessary stuff at hd or lowes, tear it all apart, unbox everything I just bought from the store, get it all installed half-assedly and unsafe like, go drink a beer and call a repair man.

Sometimes I'll switch it up a bit and call a friend for the middle steps if I have more time on my hands

Tristavia t1_ivvn71y wrote

I also did this.

I am a 125lb 5’5” female and replaced both springs and cables solo over the summer when I had one snap just like this.

I am particularly handy in general but it was not a hard or dangerous task IMO

UnfairAd7220 t1_ivwib2z wrote

Being handy is good. It remains dangerous, even for an expert...

cereeves t1_ivwd8e2 wrote

My wife and I just dealt with some garage door problems. My advice: Watch out for the springs Hire a professional company Do not use overhead door

Obi-Vag_Kenobi t1_ivuaz27 wrote

Do what you want, but my advice as someone who’s paid more $$$ trying to save money on garage doors is: hire someone who specializes in garage doors. There’s balancing and alignment involved and if you don’t get it right, you’ll crease your panels. JMO.

Stickyfynger OP t1_ivuv9zs wrote

I agree and definitely why I put the feelers out there. Got a guy coming over to quote tomorrow. Not sure why I’m getting downvoted but hey-it’s fake internet points soooooo whatever!

Obi-Vag_Kenobi t1_ivv176c wrote

Dont worry about votes. Think of how fucking stupid the average person is. Now realize half of the people out there are more stupid than that.

Smirkly t1_ivvrvz3 wrote

This is reddit and I'm pretty sure we predominate on the lower half.

kmkmrod t1_ivu6dag wrote

Are you sure it wasn’t a clip or bolt that let go, and you can’t put it back together yourself?

Stickyfynger OP t1_ivuv0kz wrote

Good thought-I found the broken piece laying on the floor so it’s unfortunately toast.

Viking603 t1_ivviy07 wrote

We used Fimbel to repair our garage doors and rekey our locks when we bought our house. They did very good work.

https://www.fimbel.com/

Imaginary_wizard t1_ivvv45g wrote

Came here to recommend them as well. Got 2 new doors from them and they were fantastic. One door had a tiny dent I one of the panels. I couldn't see it unless looking at a certain angle but the tech pointed it out and said they can order a new one and come install it once they got.

JBGreen10 t1_ivvwl73 wrote

Yea Fimbel also took care of us on a garage door they installed even when it was outside of warranty, The cables installed were too long... The door tried to kill us twice.

Sigogglin1 t1_ivu51wp wrote

No clue what it will cost, but when I was little while living in Kentucky, our garage door did something similar. So instead of fixing it, we would manually open and close it. So one day I went out to open the garage door, and as I start raising it, I noticed something long laying on the strut which I would use to grab and lift. Upon quick inspection I noticed it was a copperhead snake looking right at me about eye level. Holy crap talk about an adrenaline rush!

Stickyfynger OP t1_ivuuvir wrote

Oh no those are definitely danger noodles! Glad your ok tho

Cullen7777 t1_ivvfrhn wrote

I paid $120 overheard door company

tom5hark t1_ivwppnt wrote

$6.99 on Amazon. Mine just broke too.

−1