Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

lorlorlor666 t1_iwdxl47 wrote

as an immunocompromised person i would like to request that people mask up as well? it's the most reliable way to keep your germs from hitting my face, as well as the faces of everyone else who can't financially afford to stay home when they get sick

Wrong-Sundae t1_iwdz95h wrote

In the Live Free And Die state, most people don’t care about the immunocompromised people’s safety, from what I’ve observed. They’ve “done their part,” or they just don’t process empathy well in general. Granted, that might be a sampling bias on my part.

But I mean, this stuff was common sense and common decency even pre-pandemic. Every dr office had mask stations for patients entering with respiratory symptoms. That’s been a thing for decades. This is all just to say, sorry in advance for downvotes and vitriol your very simple request may receive. As someone who also has a shit immune system, I feel the same way.

The most I can realistically ask of others is that they don’t give people like us grief over still masking up in public. If you’re unwilling to protect yourselves or consider us, fine. But ffs, leave us alone. At the very least. I’ve had people yell at me in the parking lot for wearing a mask to get groceries once a month. It sucks. In my case, I have a major surgery coming up I’ve been waiting years for. If I catch any respiratory infections at all between now and then, it will get cancelled, per hospital policy. I have to do what I’m doing. I would love to just be left alone. I don’t bother anyone else.

stan_milgram t1_iwf5eu3 wrote

If someone yells at you for wearing a mask, calmly respond with “why do you hate freedom so much?”

lorlorlor666 t1_iwe266z wrote

I really hope your surgery goes well! And yeah, I've gotten yelled at too.

Wrong-Sundae t1_iwe2ijf wrote

Thanks! And hopefully someday, people will stop yelling at strangers about things that don’t even affect them (like immunocompromised people choosing to wear masks.. who gets mad at that?!).
Til then, best to just pretend you don’t hear them at all and get away from them ASAP.

JessePunch t1_iwgczg3 wrote

Immunocompromised people can get themselves free N95's and be protected better than it everyone else had basic masks on. It's not reasonable to ask the rest of the world to live like 2020 forever.

Hilarias_Glucose_Cup t1_iwgdhhf wrote

good news, you can wear a mask to protect yourself. Your safety is in your own hands!

−1

TheScienceTM t1_iwe0aap wrote

No thanks. I'll stay home if I'm sick. I won't wear a mask.

−15

lizyouwerebeer t1_iwe8d96 wrote

What is the point of your comment?

[deleted] t1_iwexnk6 wrote

[removed]

TheScienceTM t1_iwg3xjn wrote

"Wear a mask indefinitely to cater to a hypochondriac cult or you're selfish"

−7

lizyouwerebeer t1_iwg7j22 wrote

You know they weren't directly asking you, right? You could've just not responded.

TheScienceTM t1_iwgnvl0 wrote

Same goes.

−2

lizyouwerebeer t1_iwgt63e wrote

That doesn't even make sense here.

TheScienceTM t1_iwh4a9m wrote

Ill word it more simply just for you, nobody asked for your input either. Especially when you're not adding anything and just insulting and trying to argue like a child. There are plenty of echo chamber subreddits for you to try if you can't handle a variety of opinions. Enjoy your masks and have a great day.

−1

lizyouwerebeer t1_iwhd00s wrote

Jeez, you are EXHAUSTING. My patience deserves a medal right now.

TheScienceTM t1_iwe9dd0 wrote

I was responding to a "request". I would ask what the purpose of your comment is, but I'm honestly not interested.

−5

lizyouwerebeer t1_iwe9isp wrote

Oh I thought you were being purposely obtuse to someone with a compromised immune system. That or you didn't get enough attention as a child so now you want this sub to know you won't be wearing a mask.

TheScienceTM t1_iwea1vt wrote

So you're just looking for an argument. Bored? Or just projecting?

lizyouwerebeer t1_iweaegj wrote

Bored? Just like when you were bored when you unnecessarily told an immunocompromised person you didn't give a shit about getting them sick because you weren't wearing a mask? Like give me a break. It was rude.

TheScienceTM t1_iweayw5 wrote

That's not what I said. If I'm not sick I'm not infecting anyone. I know it's a tough concept for you, maybe ask your teacher tomorrow.

clarenceisacat t1_iwebwny wrote

'If I'm not sick I'm not infecting anyone.'

In general, this isn't true. Sometimes, you can be:

• asymptomatic but still capable of infecting others
  • infectious even if you haven't realized you're sick

TheScienceTM t1_iwedy1r wrote

Both of those are rare cases. In my opinion it's negligible. Regardless if the solution to that 1% chance is wearing a mask indefinitely then I will pass. To each their own.

clarenceisacat t1_iwek3nb wrote

A meta-analysis published in JAMA Online looked at more than 29 million individuals and determined that the pooled percentage of asymptomatic infections was 40.50% among the population with confirmed COVID-19. Another meta-analysis looked at 350 studies and determined that the percentage of asymptomatic infections was 35.1%.

Recently recovered from a bout of norovirus? You can still spread the virus for two weeks despite having no symptoms yourself.

I'm not telling you to wear a mask, but I am telling you that your understanding of disease transmission is wrong.

TheScienceTM t1_iwes0v9 wrote

There's science on both sides. Like I've said, in my opinion the amount of time that someone could be sick asymptomatic is such a small window that it's negligible. Especially for illnesses with 99% survival for reasonably healthy people.

"we conclude that the infectivity of some asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 carriers might be weak." https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/32513410/

Covid-19: Asymptomatic cases may not be infectious, Wuhan study indicates https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4695

Evidence of asymptomatic spread is insufficient to justify mass testing for Covid-19 https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4436/rr-10

"This screening programme identified 300 asymptomatic cases. But the virus cultures indicated no viable virus in the identified asymptomatic cases. This means that these people were not likely to infect anyone else." https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19802-w

lorlorlor666 t1_iwe2443 wrote

I appreciate the staying home, but there are periods of time after you catch a virus and before you start showing symptoms when you are still contagious. You don't always know when you've caught something.

TheScienceTM t1_iwe44dj wrote

I understand that. Wearing a mask indefinitely to avoid a 1 day lapse before I get sick doesn't make sense to me. If you're worried about germs hitting your face there are face shields for that. You know what they say, if you want something done right you have to do it yourself.