Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Sensitive_Weather_56 t1_j2efxbr wrote

Some people who live in these affluent areas live there for a reason I’m assuming. That they want the best education, the best resources for their children. And now they’re expected to have to share that? How is that fair ? I know this will be an unpopular opinion….

−23

crenk3130 t1_j2eh33x wrote

because the whole point of a public education system is to provide education of equal value to the whole of the public

ANewMachine615 t1_j2ehv9b wrote

And the people who can't afford to live there just... get worse lives for their kids? The people who live in worse-off areas live there for a reason, too, but I doubt many of them are saying "yeah, I COULD do better by my kids, but y'know, I'm sure our shitty schools are good enough."

DrBreakenspein t1_j2fdgth wrote

See this is the problem with the conservative mindset, only understanding the value of things that DIRECTLY benefit you without understanding how much value you get from indirect benefits. The fact is, the schools in affluent areas will still be the best ones, even under a more equitable model. The kids of affluent parents will always have more opportunities, more life experiences, less college debt, more opportunities to be a home owner etc, but God forbid someone undeserving benefits somehow. You benefit from the education and expertise of others every single day that you didn't pay for, and a better educated population helps you even if it's in those towns, like Claremont, and Franklin, so gross. Lower crime rates, highly skilled workforce, more livable communities, better public health, these are all benefits that make our state and community a safer, nicer, healthier place to live even when funding other local communities, which makes all of our lives better

Sensitive_Weather_56 t1_j2ff6i9 wrote

I’ve never even been to Claremont Or Franklin. But from what I hear they are very unsafe places to be.

You explained it in an excellent way that actually has made me completely see how the way I was thinking was narrow minded. People literally move (buy houses) we don’t have apartments complex’s into this area when their kids hit school age and will move when they graduate.

−2