Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

golfangrier t1_j0qbmdk wrote

Tiny house community? So a trailer park?

HPenguinB t1_j0rpde9 wrote

Gentrifying trailers is the new cool thing.

Able_Cunngham603 t1_j0rrj8p wrote

Apples and oranges… tiny houses can’t hold very many children, dogs or in-laws. That makes them way more bougie.

FishermanNervous7682 t1_j0qj1lm wrote

I would think it's prohibited in many places , due to conflicts with local building codes.

Neat-Beautiful-5505 t1_j0qmddq wrote

Basically this…zoning in most communities allow only one, maybe two, structures per lot. Additionally, state septic regulations would also limit/prohibit multiple housing units on a single lot. Subdividing a larger lot to allow multiple tiny homes would be cost prohibitive once you start to build all the infrastructure. The best work around is a tiny home on a mobile platform. Without a fixed foundation it is usually treated like a motor home according to zoning and building codes. Source: I’m a city planner

Kv603 t1_j0qsbv1 wrote

Many towns do offer zoning as a "manufactured housing park", usually in limited parts of the town and with other restrictions. See also RSA 205-A

The same issues posed by trailers are also posed by tiny houses, particularly conformance with NH-DES standards on sewage disposal.

OldTurkeyTail t1_j0rwkmh wrote

The state uses lot size by soil type, where if I recall correctly, decent soils will yield about 4 bedrooms per acre. This document is more specific, with a lot sizing section starting on page 41.

https://www.des.nh.gov/sites/g/files/ehbemt341/files/documents/2020-01/Env-Wq%201000.pdf

Towns can - and often do require lots to be bigger than this minimum which is 30,000 sq. ft. for a relatively flat parcel with very good soil, which can get pretty tight with individual wells - each with a big protective radius, and individual septic systems. Historically some minimum lot sizes were established in order to minimize any contamination of wells from septic systems, which made sense when land was inexpensive, and it didn't cost so much to be extra careful.

But of course now (and probably also to some extent historically) towns with bigger lots tend to be more exclusive - which is a horrible reason to keep 2 or 3 acre minimums.

And besides that, individual homes tend to bring in a lot less in taxes than what most towns will have to spend for schools to support the new students. Which makes senior restricted housing more attractive than homes for families.

In any case, places that have town or city water, and waste treatment have much more potential for higher density. While there are some opportunities for improvements in smaller towns, but in most cases it will be a hard sell locally. And imposing new state regulations on towns is a slippery slope that has already limited the flexibility of local government in many ways.

In our town we did pass an ordinance allowing each single family home to have an accessory apartment (as long as the septic system is sized for the total number of bedrooms). And I'd love to see one tiny home as an alternative (or additional) option.

comefromawayfan2022 t1_j0qm86m wrote

I believe there used to be a guy in Lee who put tiny houses on his property and lended them out to homeless veterans but like you mentioned, he ended up getting in a pissing contest with the town(I'm thinking zoning or building codes violations) and I think the town ended up suing him or trying to sue him to get him to shut it down

Leemcardhold t1_j0qnjs9 wrote

Lots of towns in western nh would allow it….

Clock-Full t1_j0qxtvy wrote

Agreed. Most of Sullivan County wouldn't mind I'm sure. Especially Lempster, Acworth, Langdon, Grantham Croydon...etc.

Sufficient-Voice-210 t1_j0q7ri1 wrote

Idk any in NH. The community I lived in back in Florida was turned into a tiny home community

Haydenll1 t1_j0qbgnh wrote

I’m going to be building one in greenfield

Neat-Beautiful-5505 t1_j0qmkwz wrote

Does Greenfield allow this per zoning?

Haydenll1 t1_j0qxm8g wrote

Not sure 100%. I know tiny home zoning is allowed just not sure on the specifics. I’m just going to be building 1 on some property I own

thathighwhitekid t1_j0rr80h wrote

Build a yurt. It isn’t considered a permanent structure unless you’re trying to hook up plumbing.