Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

opiegagnon t1_j1zf0wd wrote

We were without power for about 23 hours, losing power around 6:30 pm. Our powerwall held strong and when the power came back on I had 21% left on my battery. Wednesday before the storm I got a severe weather notification from the app, the powerwall charged itself to 100%, my solar did not generate enough power to refill all of the battery. So the battery pulled what it needed from the grid to get to 100%. All in all the experience was pretty good on my end, we ran the house on a light load and used wood heat not my pellet stove. For reference we ran 2 fridges, a chest freezer, 2 turtle tanks, well/radon pump, lights where needed, and the furnace during the outage. The pellet stove is a low load but, with this being our first outage I played it safe.

invenio78 t1_j1zmpm4 wrote

How much did the powerwall cost?

I mean a portable generator is under $1k plus a couple of gallons of gasoline when this happens

opiegagnon t1_j1zpk5e wrote

Right, but I have solar panels as well, so I don't have the battery solely for backup in emergency situations.

Most days when the sun is out I only pull 4-5 kwh from the grid.

I generate power all day , what i don't use goes to the battery and then I sell back to eversource once my battery is fully charged. I use a percentage of my battery every night to offset grid usage. Once the non-emergency battery allocation is used up I go back to pulling from the grid.

I would not have bought a battery just for emergency use, it is about the same cost (~10k) as a whole home auto switch over propane generator.

The battery is great for emergencies, but my main goal when getting it was to offset my nightly grid usage.

invenio78 t1_j1zpyb7 wrote

No, it makes sense if you have solar as well. Not so much if you are just buying a huge battery for times when the power goes out.

A little off topic, how much energy does your solar generate typically in the winter months? It seems like we don't have a lot of sun and the days are short to begin with.

opiegagnon t1_j1zs2vy wrote

Ugh, December power generation is really frustrating. We got panels in August and I was generating 30+ KWh a day. Now I am barely getting to 10, on an overcast cloudy day I can sometimes get 0 or maybe 1-2 KWh.

I am not looking forward to Jan and Feb. Next winter I will have built up credits over the summer. And my bill will be better, but this year is not going to save a lot of money.

I like to think I am helping the environment too, but I know it is a drop in the bucket really.

hdoublearp t1_j20v3m9 wrote

With a well pump, did you need two power walls? I've considered getting just the powerwall without solar just for backup since we're in a tricky spot with lots of tree cover.

djdirectdrive t1_j21kgd2 wrote

This is good to hear. I want to look into generators and was thinking about going this route.

Annuate t1_j2axkzn wrote

Were you able to purchase the power wall without the solar shingles? Did you use some company or install it yourself? I've been interested in getting one myself.

opiegagnon t1_j2b0pjs wrote

We have 22 solar panels and one powerwall, all installed by granite state solar.