Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

TJsName t1_j61ynzi wrote

The federal tax credit is pretty substantial at 30%. In New Hampshire, the value of the solar array is not counted towards your property tax (solar abatement). New Hampshire itself doesn't currently offer any rebates that I'm aware of.

You can also sell renewable energy credits (RECs) to the market as another source of income for your ROI.

WhoWhatWhereWhenHowY t1_j622e73 wrote

Last I knew this isn't necessarily true. Municipalities have the option not to tax solar panels but some still do.

TJsName t1_j623au7 wrote

Oh interesting. Looked into it a bit more and found this: https://www.revenue.nh.gov/mun-prop/property/equalization-2021/documents/solar-exemption-report.pdf

One does have to apply, so I guess they could be denied.

​

Edit: Looking more closely, Manchester has 0 exemptions, which seems suspiciously low.

WhoWhatWhereWhenHowY t1_j623ojs wrote

The first line of rsa 72:62 says it must be adopted by the muni. Which many have not.

TJsName t1_j64ebpw wrote

Well I am clearly not a lawyer. I read "Must be adopted by the municipality as" each municipality must adopt it, but clearly that is not the case!

WhoWhatWhereWhenHowY t1_j64gkmd wrote

Haha I certainly don't pretend to be one either. I just know that last year someone came through our town with a petition to the select board about not taxing solar

TJsName t1_j64h3xz wrote

Interesting - did the town vote to adopt the statute?

Also, maybe the issue isn't that we're not lawyers, it's that lawmakers don't know how to write code.

Bicoidprime t1_j69j0h4 wrote

This is pretty substantial - that exclusion of solar from assessed property value saves me $500 per year on an array valued by the town to be $20k.

ryboto t1_j61zd8a wrote

NH has a rebate fund that usually depletes and gets funded again later in the year. It's only up to $1k as far as I know. I was approved in November but no payouts yet..

TJsName t1_j623si9 wrote

Oh right, I forgot about that 'lottery' piece of it. I wouldn't plan on those find, but it's worth trying to get them!