Submitted by fartuni4 t3_10nxcjr in newhampshire

i basically need close access to i93 to visit my folks who are much older in NJ, take care of them time to time, but want to buy basically the cheapest thing I can as I live by myself in NH, where I can save a ton on state income tax.

Which areas/property types would you guys recommend to look for? I basically need water access adn grew up in major cities all my life, but will get starlink and tesla solar for internet and power

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

one_way_ticketz t1_j6bk8q0 wrote

so you're going to do all your own maintenance, chop wood all summer to prepare for winter, and live off grid but you can't even do a real estate search? good luck bro.

imdone5555 t1_j6e41po wrote

Just so you’re aware. Asking Reddit would be doing some real estate searching.

cwalton505 t1_j6cqwh4 wrote

You're a loon. Sorry but your savings in income tax are likely negligible vs whatever you think you're doing with setting up an independent off grid but still fully functional home... and there is no quick way to new jersey from here anywhere

clarenceisacat t1_j6cnp0z wrote

"will get starlink and tesla solar for internet and power"

You should know that because New Hampshire is so wooded, there's a decent chance that you wouldn't get the output you need / expect.

l337quaker t1_j6d8cog wrote

Not to mention even if you have a good solar view, the winter months can be garbage for solar between shorter days and regular cloud cover. I say this as someone who wants to add solar.

Excellent_Affect4658 t1_j6bpxxg wrote

If your goal is to make the trip to NJ easy, you don’t want to be on 93, you want to be close to 91. Being over by 93 just adds an hour+ to your drive for no benefit.

cwalton505 t1_j6cqp7u wrote

If you want to make the trip to NJ easy probs should live in NJ

Spartan2022 t1_j6cxr8a wrote

Exactly re: 91.

Has OP looked at a map or driven around the Northeast and New England?

fartuni4 OP t1_j6btjj0 wrote

good to know

−3

ihaveatrophywife t1_j6dcqby wrote

I’d check out western MA or CT. There’s some really affordable properties, you’ll be closer to NJ, and you’ll have easier access to the things you are used to.

fartuni4 OP t1_j6ddhy0 wrote

i like guns and low income* taxes

​

i see your caucasity tho

−28

ihadacowman t1_j6dh2uu wrote

NH does not have low property tax rates.

The towns with a lot of high value taxable real estate typically have lower rates. Poorer towns pay much more per $1000 value.

That said, if you have 11 rural acres, you may be able to keep 10 in “current use” and pay lower rates.

Spartan2022 t1_j6e8c1b wrote

Have you ever lived in NH OP? Or are you a “don’t read to me” free stater who’s eager to move to NH?

Factor in property taxes, heating bills (and sure you can cut your own wood but that takes a lot of time and effort), etc. It’s not the shoot-em-up, hate liberals, low taxes paradise that you’ve got in your head.

Sure you can find a few free staters who might invite you to their circle jerk if you move up, but no one pays any attention to those kooks.

overdoing_it t1_j6hp3vb wrote

AFAIK 10 acres is taxed before you can put the rest in current use, except in some situations like wetlands the minimum is like 2 acres. Or if you can separate into 2 adjacent parcels and own both, one can be entirely in current use, but it's not easy to split a single parcel up.

ihaveatrophywife t1_j6fs804 wrote

Oh yeah, if you like guns it’s pretty much us or Maine if you want to be in New England. Even Vermont is slipping

Loosh_03062 t1_j6bpz6k wrote

Big city person trying to shift paradigms without a clutch and going full rural (which is often entertaining) aside , If you're looking for highway access to get to NJ, you'd be better off looking more toward the Connecticut River since I-91 gives you a much straighter shot, and White River Junction even has a daily train which goes to New Jersey.

Excellent_Affect4658 t1_j6ctzvb wrote

Yeah, upper valley has three relatively painless ways to NJ: the train from WRJ, plus either Dartmouth Coach from Hanover to NYC or Cape Air from LEB to NYC, followed by NJ transit. Or driving. We have used all over these pretty regularly in the past.

fartuni4 OP t1_j6btkm0 wrote

>White River Junction even has a daily train which goes to New Jersey.

thank you

cdot666 t1_j6cq88t wrote

Pittsburg

overdoing_it t1_j6hp9ov wrote

It does have easy access to 93, it's just a long drive. Take the Vermont side down to St J and there's very little traffic.

wormtowny t1_j6e6qx2 wrote

You should probably do a little more homework on your tax situation. NH is technically a functioning state and has to pay for that function with some form of taxes. The result is that NH has the 4th highest real estate tax in the country. And if you earn your income outside of NH, in MA for example, as many NH folks do, you’re paying income tax in the state where it was earned, not NH.

I can’t tell you how many MA folks I know who moved to southern NH to “avoid taxes” but ended up still working in MA and ended up paying a much higher effective tax rate, kind of the worst of both worlds between real estate and income tax.

https://smartasset.com/taxes/new-hampshire-property-tax-calculator#:~:text=New%20Hampshire%20is%20known%20as,tax%20payment%20here%20is%20%246%2C097.

Hereforthemadness1 t1_j6jalrm wrote

City boy watches too much tv and movies. You think living rough is an enjoyable thing. You’d make it a weekend, maybe a week, like you’re doing some flatlander getaway on a ranch to feel like a cowboy. Water access huh? Gonna have a well drilled, or you think water access will be your source, gonna boil every drip of water to ensure there’s no giardia that’ll lay you out flat? What about when a tree comes down on your road, or worse, your house and fancy Tesla? Two feet of snow followed by freezing rain buried your soft ass in your house and you run out of battery, what’s your plan?

Do yourself a favor, buy a regular house in suburbia, then just pay for a weekend away at a cabin, take all the pictures in your pretty new flannel shirts with a Walmart ax over your shoulder and say you’re a woodsman, don’t try to actually be one, you’ll fail.

Leemcardhold t1_j6flayy wrote

You’ll end up paying as much in property tax as you were in income tax

beagletronic61 t1_j6bh2nx wrote

These parcels exist in Campton.

I’m sure you’ve done the math; over the next 10 years you are going to spend how much money to save how much money on state income tax?

Doug_Shoe t1_j6cnt5m wrote

Cheapest real estate is in the north (north of the mountains).

GreatGrandaddyPurp t1_j6e7xb7 wrote

A 4 season tent would be pretty cheap. You can set it up in WMNF!