Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

vegetarian_slut t1_jcq4agr wrote

It certainly has its pros and cons.

Pros- small, community like feel. Friendly, weird people, and very supportive if you're "in" with them

Cons- cliquey, boys-club type of mentality / behavior. Hive-mindset, so if you're not "in" with them, they'll be disrespectful during your set, etc. Additionally, doing the same sets in front of the same people week after week gets exhausting.

Best of luck on your decision! New haven is a great place to live and focus on artistic passions without having to pay NY prices. The train to NY is about 90 minutes long, certainly worth going there once a week / every other to check out their mic scene

kahmos OP t1_jcqaiy7 wrote

Cliques are in every scene. It's kind of a "might makes right" mentality, if you're funny you're in most of the time. There's always a contrast between hard work and talent, but you have to have both to succeed regardless. I'm more on the lazy side because I have a career that is often prohibitive to comedy hours. It's difficult to justify the time regardless of where I am, but a small scene can be amazing for improving oneself if you can find a good routine. I grew a lot in a small college town. As soon as I had to start getting up at 6am for work however, my growth stopped, while I watched some of my friends hit it big.

But in the end I just prefer measuring myself in laughs than in dollars or shows.