Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

decimal_diversity OP t1_ivm7ous wrote

No preference. Convenience and safety are top priority

6th__extinction t1_ivo27ww wrote

Are you okay with petty crime (packages) and loud noises? Cross off Wooster if the answer is No.

Westville is tied to Whalley Ave, worst street in the city, and I wouldn’t make it part of my life with a 3 year old. Two people killed on Whalley in the past two weeks.

East Rock or a suburb.

HartfordResident t1_ivuzyax wrote

Westville proper, like the part around the village and Yale Bowl, is not tied to any of the parts of Whalley Avenue with crazy drivers. I've lived in CT a long time and would say that's probably the nicest neighborhood in the state, all things considered. The main street through East Rock (Whitney) is much worse than that part of Whalley. To get from Westville to Downtown I think most people would take Edgewood, Chapel, Route 34, etc., on a routine basis over Whalley.

6th__extinction t1_ivxsgmx wrote

Nope. The Edgerton side of Whitney is nicer and more expensive than any part of Westville.
Born and raised here too.

HartfordResident t1_iw8mvew wrote

Expensive and rich never means nicer or more community friendly. But both are great areas! I think Westville has more resources (library, farmer market, several nice restaurants, cafes etc) - the area around Edgerton is a retail desert. It also has more typical-sized homes, bungalows, etc., than the area around Whitney does, so objectively speaking, you have a much larger number of typical families with young children living there. The area along Whitney and Saint Ronan Street has more of a mix of either 1BR condos or very large mansions.

6th__extinction t1_iweucqm wrote

I think a lot of families try to be closer to Leila Day, Calvin Hill, Foote, St Thomas, Cold Spring, Hooker, etc.

mgr86 t1_ivojzg3 wrote

If you want a more suburban feel, parts of hamden, Cheshire, Wallingford (decent electric rates), and Branford maybe options.

If you are a Yale grad student and want to be near others you might try science hill or east rock. The former seems to have more families. You will probably want a car here. But I’ve seen people do food deliveries from stop and shop and even Walmart. Though east rock does have some small markets. And definitely has more walkable restaurants. Science hill maybe closer to campus for you. Though the shuttles are decent.

I lived in new haven for over a decade on the edge between science hill and east rock. I was lucky and I loved it. My wife and I moved a half hour out of the city when she was pregnant three years ago. (It’s also a halfway point between our jobs).

Most of all the towns I listed are within 5-10 mins of either 95, the Merritt (state rt 15), 91, or 84.