Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

beaveristired t1_iydbbj1 wrote

Not a great area. But it’s busy by the supermarket and by the intersection with Kimberly Ave., which is good. It will likely be pretty desolate at night, should be better during the day. Motor vehicle thefts are pretty common throughout New Haven, as well as catalytic converter thefts. Might depend on the make/model of your car.

Latest New Haven crime stats by neighborhood (Compstat):

https://www.newhavenct.gov/government/departments-divisions/new-haven-police-department/compstat-reports/-folder-329

Lambert St. is located in Hill South district (the greater neighborhood is called The Hill). According to the latest report, gunshots were heard on Button St., close to Lambert, and Hurlburt St. a few blocks away from Lambert. There were a couple robberies in the district and 1 car stolen from a nearby garage (by Ikea, on the outskirts of the district). These reports are compiled every week or two.

Just stay alert, don’t wear headphones while you’re walking, and lock your car. I think you’ll be fine if you take basic precautions. Most violent crime isn’t aimed at random individuals, so likely people will just leave you alone.

As for bars: a lot of the old dives are sadly gone, but Three Sheets is fun.

Eta: if you like live music, check out Cafe Nine, it’s pretty divey. We have a lot of music coming through, bigger acts at College Street Music Hall. The Yale art museums are really good and free. Try New Haven style “apizza” at Sally’s, Modern, or Frank Pepe’s. Lots of good restaurants. East Rock, Wooster Square, and Westville are fun neighborhoods to check out. Edgerton Park is very pretty and quiet, has a cool greenhouse that’s nice to visit in the winter. East Rock Park is popular for hiking. Take a train to NYC, the commuter rail is called MetroNorth and it brings you to Grand Central in 2 hours.

cathlab_lifesaver OP t1_iye5kpk wrote

Thank you for the suggestions. I just left contracts in Memphis and Little Rock, so I'm more cautious than most, I'd say. I will be trying those places out for sure.

beaveristired t1_iyetxk9 wrote

Oh if you’ve lived in a city before, then i think you’ll be fine. Maybe avoid Hurlburt and Spring St. if possible (last few months had a lot of activity there). Otherwise just use basic street smarts and you’ll be fine. Welcome and enjoy your time here!