Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Dange543 t1_j0br6yz wrote

Almost all boarding places require some sort of test run or initial visit, so if your dog has issues being around others or in that environment, you're better off finding a friend or family relative to watch your doggo.

mynamesnot_rick36 OP t1_j0bwbf8 wrote

Thanks. That's what I've done previously but I don't have any type of network in New Haven.

MardukX t1_j0c87gp wrote

For a reactive pet owner, I'd recommend exploring a pet sitting option like rover.com or consulting with your vet's office for pet sitters.

We have also used Instinct Dog Training in NYC for reactive dog boarding. They were wonderful and skilled at working with our very dog-reactive dog in boarding and training situations. I know this likely isn't a huge help living in New Haven, but it's been worth the drive for us when family aren't available.

WholeComparison130 t1_j0e8ukv wrote

I wouldn’t recommend Rover or Wag for fearful/reactive dogs unless you can somehow externally confirm their skills

Source: was a wag walker and would not trust my reactive dog with them

flying_unicorn t1_j0c3vxm wrote

We used to use holiday pet lodge, we were very happy with them, but our dog always got so nervous and stressed out that when he came home, it would take him about a week to chill out. He also always came back with diarrhea. I don't blame the pet lodge at all, he was just a nervous dog and had separation anxiety.

We switching to using online pet sitting services, rover.com, and we were very happy with the couple of sitters we had used.

Now one of the vet tech's from our vet's office does house sitting (i don't know if it's for everyone, or just vet clients). We used her 4 months ago while we were gone for 3 weeks, and while expensive it worked out great given 3 of our 4 cats had medical needs.

A pet sitter's scheduling may be less flexible than a boarding facility however.

xoxogunnergirl t1_j0lb1o3 wrote

For short walks and short stays away Amy Hazelton and co over at You Lucky Dog have been a god send for my dog selective pup. She doesn’t have aggression issues but definitely also doesn’t thrive in a group doggy day care environment. We haven’t used them but Paw Haven has a boarding option for “individual enrichment” which includes 1:1 time with staff instead of the group romps which could work! Good luck!

Abject-Region1025 t1_j1smaes wrote

I had good luck at shoreline pet boarding in Branford, they have different protocol for reactive dogs and you can purchase extra walks and kongs. Definitely a good option if you can’t have someone come to your house. For context I have a leash reactive pit bull.