Submitted by brutalistgarden t3_znu3de in newhaven

Hi everyone,

I'm a 28-year-old researcher who recently arrived at Yale a couple of weeks ago. I'm not really sure what the bar scene is like in New Haven, so any recommendations would be much appreciated. I'm looking for places that are casual and have a good atmosphere for making new friends. I'm also hoping to find places that aren't too expensive and stay open late. If you have any recommendations for bars that meet these criteria, please let me know! I'm always open to trying new places and making new friends, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

snickylo t1_j0jwe0w wrote

Blue Orchid has late night happy hour from 10-12 on Fridays and Saturdays. It's a great place to meet people and you can actually have conversations because it doesn't get too loud or crowded.

ProgMM t1_j0jojoo wrote

I’m a 24-year-old local, and in my experience, a lot of the bars listed here are not conducive to making friends. Admittedly, this may be more indicative of my personality as well as that of my old friends, but my experience in Barcade and Trinity is seeing pre-existing friends stay in their insular groups.

100percent100percent t1_j0m2bc9 wrote

Agreed. Im older than you but this whole "just go out and make friends thing" is kinda BS. I've met a TON of people I get along with or talk to a bit when I see them out, but nothing ever turns into a real friendship.

I think good friends are just ultra rare to begin with, and if you didn't go to college or take a traditional career path, it's incredibly difficult to make close friends.

Phonervia t1_j0jdeti wrote

Barcade, bar, ordinary come to mind

m11cb t1_j0jqszn wrote

This is not a bar but i've heard great things about Elm City Games

Phonervia t1_j0kxim6 wrote

Was going to mention it, it’s fantastic. I go on occasion and pick up games. Very solid place.

MattFantastic t1_j0lyew9 wrote

Thanks for the mention!

We’re BYO so if drinking is your thing you can still do it (and much cheaper). We have a few events that are super casual and built around new people meeting each other. Games can make it a lot easier to connect with new people, you have something to focus on if you’re not vibing and by nature of the events people are mixing up into different groups continually.

Friday evening is mostly party games. Sunday is still casual hang friendly but more focused on the games. Friday usually has about 20ish people, Sunday fluctuates.

You 100% don’t need to be a gamer or into games already, everyone is super chill and always happy to have new people in the mix (especially Friday nights).

scatematica t1_j0jw8ox wrote

Gryphons if you’re yale affiliated

CatoTheYounger13 t1_j0l5f9f wrote

yes, go to a pretentious bar that only allows ivy league students in. what a crock of shit

−16

craftycamilla t1_j0lhfis wrote

it’s literally owned by the school?

CatoTheYounger13 t1_j0lif6u wrote

Oh shit my bad I thought it was a private enterprise lol

craftycamilla t1_j0lim83 wrote

yeah it’s yale owned so grad students have a safe space to interact w other students. they don’t even let undergrads in

CatoTheYounger13 t1_j0zjayf wrote

I guess I’m just salty I didn’t take initiative to apply to Yale lol. I’m a graduate student at university of New Haven.

craftycamilla t1_j0zyzzj wrote

that’s understandable lol, but tbh ur not missing much

dslicex t1_j0jtude wrote

Cafe 9. Show and a drink and a good hang. I’m also same age and was a grad student at Yale once upon a time…

Kindly_Ad7904 t1_j0jzd4l wrote

Rumaj and Noa By September on Friday and Saturday night

dang_he_groovin t1_j0lvhpa wrote

Rudy's is nice for getting hammered alone in peace and quiet.

Owl shop can be nice.

Archie moores and Chris Martin's in East Rock

You will meet people at geronimo/bar/crown street but they will be awful

If you want to make friends in the bar scene I would suggest getting a part time job there...

flutexgirl t1_j0mfdri wrote

Gather in East Rock has a more coffee shop vibe but it's very good for meeting people! They also serve beer and wine.

Crafty-Cauliflower-6 t1_j0lvrob wrote

Depends what you want. Irish pub type Trinity on the yale side of town. You can watch games grab a guiness meet lots of people. Ward 9. And christopher martins are alao in this category. So is delaneys on the other side of town. Archie moores and next door are wings spots/pizza. Probably less strangers talking in these spots.

Dive bars Cafe 9 is a dive bar with live music Stella blues is a dive bar with live music Three sheets Rudys Barcade The canon

Restauraunts where people go to drink/socialize Prime 16, Geronimos, olives and oil, jacks steakhouse, el segundo, barcelona, three amigos, te amos,

Upscale bars The anchor The owl shop (also allows cigar smoking) Ordinary Elm city social Firehouse 12

Wine bars Cave vin Harvest

Theres tons more and i skipped all the dance clubs

curbthemeplays t1_j1e6pq5 wrote

Lots of good suggestions already. Would add High George and Elm City Social roof bars when warm.

116 Crown for higher end cocktails.

I find people at Three Sheets can be pretty friendly. Gather, too.

Some breweries too. East Rock and Armada Brewing. 12% Beer Project, NEBCO, or Tribus just outside the city.