Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Quinnlos OP t1_j10zwjf wrote

One of us has been dating all comms to them, I’ve been on the withhold payment train since the 3rd month in, but they’re anxious about doing so.

At this point I may just create an automation on my phone to reach out to both the property manager as well as the maintenance head with a list of our complaints until they’re fixed.

NATO1092 t1_j110gdl wrote

Sounds like a good plan. I'm telling you. Money will get their attention. It's harder to evict you then to fix the items beed repairing. Just make sure you dont spend the money youre witholding.And I'm pretty sure you have the right to excersise rent withholding for poor conditions or maintenance/repair issues.

Quinnlos OP t1_j111e0s wrote

Sounds good to me, thankfully our rent account is always in good standing to avoid issues regarding money expenditure so that shouldn’t be an issue, but we’ve got a letter written up with all previously mentioned repair issues and have let them know that we have a hard stop of January 31st before we take legal action at this point.

oliviarose2021 t1_j11fvkh wrote

You have to apply to pay your rent into escrow. Elm St courthouse. Otherwise they can begin eviction proceedings.

Quinnlos OP t1_j11g15d wrote

I’ve read about this in brief elsewhere but had completely forgotten, I definitely will be reaching out to the courthouse to get next stepping from them as well

buried_lede t1_j1gzey1 wrote

Yes, do it correctly- big difference in outcome for you

lazy-but-talented t1_j15b4ym wrote

absolutely do not withhold rent no matter what anyone else tells you, your landlord will have better standing to evict you for withholding rent . you do have the right to withhold rent but it's not as easy as just not paying there is a whole legal process for it where you might file a complaint and pay the court the rent that is owed while your landlord completes repairs. There is greater chance of you getting evicted for breaching your end of the contract by not paying rent versus the chance of your landlord getting repairs done because you stopped paying rent. Keep paying rent until you're directed otherwise by legal professionals not redditors

suz_gard t1_j16mt8z wrote

This is true, the local news has been publishing a series on evictions in CT and in almost every case the tenants stopped paying rent because the house was legitimately falling apart, and the judge ruled against the tenant every single time. The stupid line they kept using was, We're at court over rent payments, not landlord maintenance. None of the documented maintenance issues were permissable evidence for the eviction hearing. I think CT has a law where you can pay your rent to the court instead of the landlord if you think they aren't abiding by the contract and the court holds your money until the case against the landlord is settled. Such a pain, but that's the legal way to approach it

buried_lede t1_j1gzo73 wrote

Right, and there are also procedures for paying for repairs out of rent if your landlord fails miserably to do them. Following the procedures makes all the difference for the tenant- you want them to have the poor standing, not you. Always follow the rules. Lots of guides online for CT landlord tenant law that are easy to understand and follow.

buried_lede t1_j1gzb49 wrote

I am not sure just withholding rent is OK. I think you can deduct repairs from rent but not just refuse to pay. Double check the rules