Submitted by robbnthehood282 t3_10h23af in newhaven

Wondering what Wi-Fi people have in New Haven / East Rock area. Having issues with Xfinity internet and I am trying to change to someone else, but keep having carriers tell me the area is not covered…

Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

Somar2230 t1_j5648ba wrote

For most of the area the two choices are Xfinity or Frontier. Some lucky people are able to get fiber from GoNetspeed. T-Mobile or Verizon wireless home internet might be available.

Frontier was only offering DSL the last time I checked with them which was over a year ago that may have changed.

GoNetspeed stops a few blocks away from me so I'm stuck with Xfinity too. I don't use my house there that often so I can deal with it.

robbnthehood282 OP t1_j565spu wrote

Yeah, Frontier told me they don’t serve this part of town. Guess I will have to deal w Xfinity.

Appreciate the feedback!

snorkelbagel t1_j59r6c6 wrote

Frontier also does fiber in regions of new haven. It had actually pretty good speeds, they actually honored the new enrollment GC and the install tech was very knowledgable. Price is also pretty comparable to Gonetspeed once you factor in the GNS install price vs frontier gift card on like a 5 year timeline.

adramaleck t1_j56ggte wrote

Might want to look into your router, either replacing it or changing the settings. You don’t get “Wi-Fi” service from xfinity, they give you internet through a wire and the router puts off a Wi-Fi bubble, the same way you don’t get “cordless phone service” from the phone company, they just give you service to your house and you plug in your cordless phone which handles the wireless part.

Especially if you live in an apartment or crowded area there are probably many other routers around you. They work on channels and if a lot of people are using close to the same channel they interfere with each other. So you should go into your router settings check things out. If it has a 2.4ghz radio and a 5g radio sometimes connecting to the 5g instead will help…but it doesn’t go through walls quite as well if you have a big place or brick walls or anything like that.

basedmarimo t1_j57bx0r wrote

Seconding this. I used to have major wifi problems using Xfinity when I used their default equipment at the time and would CONSTANTLY get disconnected. I then did my own research and invested in my own gear and my Xfinity wifi is incredible now. No drops in service anymore and it's really fast. I will always preach to others about the importance of having a good router and modem setup!

bluethread32 t1_j5742gk wrote

I have gonetspeed in westville.

It's GREAT

StinkyTofuWorld t1_j57o944 wrote

I have been having wifi issues since yesterday!

robbnthehood282 OP t1_j57oiwi wrote

Same, I called and they said there is an outage. I was told it would be fixed today but my Wi-Fi is still in and out. Going to look into gonetspeed like people are saying in this thread!

StinkyTofuWorld t1_j58ho9h wrote

I haven’t had wifi at all starting this morning. I’ve had to rely on my phone for data.

KSGS1492 t1_j59ksq8 wrote

Upvote for GoNetspeed

urbz102385 t1_j5ab8fa wrote

If you still have problems after trying some of the suggestions, you could do what I did back in 2016. After multiple issues with Comcast, I wrote a 3 page complaint to the FCC. I was then contacted by the Comcast retention department. This guy got all of my problems taken care of. Ended up reimbursing me for my own $300 router, had the tech that came out run Ethernet cable through my house, then credited me maybe 2-3 months of service. They can do right by you, but they don't have to if you don't make enough noise about it.

robbnthehood282 OP t1_j5eyaz9 wrote

Lol noted - my Wi-Fi is still in and out so I will keep this in my back pocket.

badfriend534 t1_j56dlpt wrote

I've been using Verizon home & gettin GREAT service. They have 25/mo for 3 years if u have wireless with them.

Loyaljr t1_j58fmzn wrote

I’m on quinnipiac and ave and been on and off since yesterday

k__clark t1_j59x46k wrote

Also have xfinity and am in east rock. I wfh and ever since they “upgraded” their equipment in the neighborhood it’s been awful!