Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

BF_2 t1_j8zygqe wrote

Right. Tell that to my friend who has three devices like scratching posts for her cat but still it damages her furniture.

−2

Belenias t1_j90362e wrote

Ok. @BF_2's friend:

Only three? Pfft. Cats are particular about how, where, and what they scratch. Get a scratching mat on the floor, a tall scratching post, and an S-shaped one. Sisal material tends to be the best, but not for all cats. Figure out which kinds your cat likes, then put one or two in every room. If it scratches a specific piece of furniture, wrap a sisal mat around the area that gets scratched.

Then check all the pictures on your phone. If 95% of them aren't of your cat, then cats are probably not for you, and you should get a goldfish or something instead.

BF_2 t1_j91gz47 wrote

That's good information, but now look online and notice that there are very limited choices available commercially. I recently had to buy a scratching post for my sister -- who knew what her cats preferred -- and I wasted hours looking for one.

−2

214ObstructedReverie t1_j924txi wrote

> but now look online and notice that there are very limited choices available commercially.

You cannot be serious about that statement.

Extension_Health2522 t1_j91yrfc wrote

Cover what you don't want them clawing with aluminum foil for like a week....it works, it's annoying that you're stuff is covered in aluminum foil for a week, but that cats gonna be around a lot longer

jersey_girl660 t1_j937t21 wrote

So aside from what’s been mentioned about cats being particular regarding scratching, the cat may need some training as well when you find the right scratching material.

If all that fails claw caps are a humane way to protect your furniture.