Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

target_meet_arrow t1_ja9ftij wrote

>Maybe we grew up in different environments,

These are universal things so it doesn't matter. Personalities are mainly learned.

>I have known plenty of people who disregard anything and everything they are told, and do what they please, whether or not it is legal or socially acceptable, and these mentalities have followed them well into their adult lives. Some people just do not care, and that’s a fact.

Those people were not born that way. Basically all of what we understand about human psychology and development backs this up. Kids don't care because they were raised not to. Often that wasn't the goal but some methods of "discipline" backfire and have opposite effects.

> A child has the free will to either listen to their parent, or not.

And the parents have the power to tip the scales in their favor and teach about consequences and choices. Free will isn't as free as people think. People need and desire things from others.

>I don’t think the parent should be responsible if their child ignored their warnings and instructions.

That depends on the situation IMO.

>But you cannot hold someone responsible for someone else’s actions.

Yes you can. Both morally and legally.

>I live in the most densely populated state in the US, so maybe I’ve just had more exposure to these types of people than others have, but I wouldn’t say that the “I’ll do whatever I want” mentality is rare.

We are in the NJ sub. We live in the same state.

>but I wouldn’t say that the “I’ll do whatever I want” mentality is rare.

Your exposure to those types of people doesn't tell you anything about their home life and upbringing. Therapy and counseling can help some of these people unlearn behaviors that were taught in childhood via poor negative or positive reinforcement. If you can learn something it was probably learned to begin with.

You will find no reputable psychologists that say that some people are just bad beyond edge cases like psychopaths and sociopaths. Empathy and kindness are skills that are taught and nurtured.