Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

jayc428 t1_j9xbvke wrote

I haven’t noticed that but if I were you I would read up on your rights. Since you’re working remotely your lunch break could qualify as a working lunch and therefore be paid since you’re not really leaving your place of work on your break. They also can’t mandate you to take a break either so them making you work 9-6 and assuming you’re taking an hours worth of breaks in the day would not be compliant from my understanding. Short breaks of less then 20 minutes are in fact paid and count towards your hours worked. While you may be salaried, you may be working overtime without realizing it and depending on your job and responsibilities you may not be exempt from overtime pay.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/breaks

https://www.dol.gov/agencies/whd/fact-sheets/17a-overtime

We’ve actually transitioned our work force to four 10 hour days, breaks included as paid. I wish that was more of the trend because the employees absolutely love it and independent studies have documented the benefits of it extensively.

But anyway don’t hesitate to contact the state DOL, I call them myself every so often with questions just to make sure we’re compliant as things change. They’re extremely helpful in all aspects.

totoropotatoes OP t1_j9xdf9x wrote

This is great advice thank you. I’ll look into it! The agency I work for is clearly all about profits and they’re all mid to late 20s. Including me. And the hr is the founders wife. I’m sure u can assume the culture already.

jayc428 t1_j9xhz68 wrote

No problem! Yeah MBA spreadsheet ninja types I’m sure. Best of luck to you, if you’re looking to make a move the best time to find a new job is while you have one.

peter-doubt t1_j9xq8zz wrote

This.. he has more ammo than he thinks. Replacing him costs. And a better work environment with a respectful employer can last longer than this deserves to.

At the end of the day, you deserve a good measure of Self Respect.

peter-doubt t1_j9xq20g wrote

I did the 4x10 for a time.. my boss liked that in the summer.... It was different, but I Gained nothing. All my errands got crammed into one day and they felt like A Job.