Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

YoungManondorf t1_jahg5i1 wrote

If you’re in the Hackettstown area, check out Greene’s Beans on High Street, they’re fairly popular with and staffed by younger people who are very friendly. You could also check the shops on Main Street, plenty of students from Centenary around there. Aside from the usual recommendations about breweries and bars and restaurants, there’s some cool niche art shops and clothing outlets that may have customers or staff you could talk with. I also recommend visiting r/hackettstown if you haven’t already.

There’s a Pinot’s Palette off 57 in Beattystown. I can’t speak to the clientele but it stands to reason you may find people to connect with there.

In the spring I recommend checking out the lavender farm in Port Murray. I’ve seen a few artists and a fair amount of young adults the past few times I’ve gone. It’s a beautiful place to connect over nature and flowers and such.

If you’re willing to go out on a limb, the local SCA chapter is having their annual Mudthaw this March up in Vasa Park in Mount Olive. There’s a fairly large group of locals around your age that I know will be there and they’re very welcoming to newcomers. You don’t need to dress up like a medieval character either, so no worries on that front.

Finally, if you’re simply trying to find one or two people in the area to get to know rather than feeling overly adventurous, I can put you in touch with my fiancé. We moved to the area from out of state and it sounds like you two are in the same boat. Your interests align, too, so you may be able to figure out some more things to do than I was able to think of off the top of my head.

wav_24 OP t1_jahirw1 wrote

Thanks for such a thoughtful answer! I actually worked at Greene's Beans in high school lol, went to HS in Hackettstown but haven't checked their sub so thanks for that. All great suggestions :) Maybe sometime I'll message you and get in touch with your fiancé, where did you move from? Welcome to Jersey!