Comments

You must log in or register to comment.

oneeyedwilly278 t1_jcdsphb wrote

Call the pest control company and Google a bit. A lot of people have the opposite complaint in my experience. Management doesn't do anything and then there's a pest problem and they won't respond. Move into your own domicile and avoid all chemicals at your discretion. Or don't and deal with decent service relative to a lot of renters.

Edit to clarify.. the reason you may not observe active pest issues is because of the timely preventative maintenance.

Groady_Wang t1_jcdpwbh wrote

What does your lease say. The fine print will dictate how you should proceed. Some leases will hold you liable and still make you pay regardless of accepting or refusing treatment

fvckspeak t1_jcdr26x wrote

according to the lease it says i must make the apartment available for such things as inspection, repair, extermination...BUT just because its in the lease and i signed it doesnt mean that its lawful...cant enforce an unlawful contract...thats why im asking if there are any renters rights regarding this issue

we dont pay extra for the treatment and im not looking for a discount on my rent for refusing, i just dont want or need it

−3

Ace-Harding t1_jcdrvqn wrote

Well looks like you have your answer, other than the bizzare parts about unlawful contracts.

fvckspeak t1_jcdsmdd wrote

eh from the nj tenants rights booklet

"No person shall enter upon or into any real property or estate therein and detain and hold the same, except where entry is given by law, and then only in a peaceable manner. With regard to any real property occupied solely as a residence by the party in possession, such entry shall not
be made in any manner without the consent of the party in possession unless the entry and detention is made pursuant to legal process as set out in "

−3

Ace-Harding t1_jcdufv6 wrote

My reply was a little flippant so I’ll give you a more substantive response- I’m a tenants rights attorney. You consented to entry when you signed the lease with the provision that requires you to give them access. If you don’t they can seek to evict you but that’s a dramatic step and seems unlikely especially for a building that large. I also can’t imagine you’re the only one who wont or cant provide access during business hours (assuming that’s when they spray).

jackietreehorn313 t1_jce3ggg wrote

OP, you’re clearly not a lawyer and you’re way out of your depth. Besides, the pest control isn’t just for you, it’s for the entire building. Your untreated apartment can be the cause of a building wide infestation.

fvckspeak t1_jcf33fy wrote

im clearly out of my depth, thats why im asking the question, lol....

SpeedySpooley t1_jce15zz wrote

You should have focused on:

>** except where entry is given by law,**

By the terms of the lease, you consented to entry for the purposes of extermination service.

ReadenReply t1_jcf1gyg wrote

our small building has an exterminator come through monthly and I've asked and been told the spray they use (mostly in the kitchen) is pet friendly.

SquirrelEnthusiast t1_jcf3p9q wrote

Buddy... the reason you don't think you need an exterminator is because that exterminator is doing their job successfully every month.

Pest control substances are way more safe than you think they are when used residentially. They mighty not even want to treat your apartment, just check for signs of infestation.

Don't be a dick. What the landlord is asking for is completely legal. Let the exterminator in. And if you are curious about their work, ask them what they're going to do so you're not making assumptions about how their work is gonna give you a third arm.