Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

fltlsyko t1_jcw7uv7 wrote

Jersey City is nearly stuffed to the gills with highrises, Newark is no doubt next in line. The gentrification near the PATH is already started, it's going to keep spreading.

EssexCountyBreakdown t1_jcwdxjr wrote

Yeah, I agree with this. Transportation into NYC is pretty convenient from Newark. I'd say it's really just a matter of time.

I've been working downtown for 20 years now. There's been a steady pace of development, between construction at the colleges, residential conversions (the Walker House, Eleven 80, et al) and new development like the Shaq Towers. Things seem to be accelerating.

Lowkeylowthreadcount t1_jcxu4l2 wrote

People have been saying this since the early 2000’s. Much like Jersey City, there are parts of Newark closer to the path that have slowly become more gentrified, but there are also deep pockets of both places that don’t have great access to public transit and because of that will not even be flipped into neighborhoods with white people taco spots and boutique coffee shops.

fltlsyko t1_jcyfoq3 wrote

Yup, that's just how gentrification works in cities. That's why you don't see NYU students and families from the Midwest with strollers walking around Canarsie. I was just making a generalization, one would have to write a whole essay to address the way every neighborhood will be affected individually.

sutisuc t1_jd33sr5 wrote

You shouldn’t even have had to clarified since you literally stated you were talking about areas close to the PATH. This guy just wanted to pull a “well actually” and pretend like he knew something the rest of us didn’t

fltlsyko t1_jd380y1 wrote

Lol that's reddit for you. Probably didn't even read past the first few words.

sutisuc t1_jd1jnva wrote

I mean no city is ever fully gentrified. Even in Brooklyn there’s plenty of spots that aren’t in great shape still (Brownsville, east New York, etc)