Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

stormborn72 t1_jeav0vu wrote

Former MVC employee here. You’ve read too far into it .. don’t overcomplicate it. Bring the following and you will be fine:

Primary Document: Original Birth Certificate or Passport - 4 points Secondary Documents: NJ drivers license - 1 point & proof of address Social security card 1 point & proof of SSN 1 utility bill with full name and address no more than 90 days old (print out is fine) - proof of address

This covers your 6 points, 2 proofs of address and 1 proof of ssn and will be more than acceptable for RealID as long as:

1. the names and addresses on all of these documents match identically
  2. All documents are unexpired
  3. None of the documents are damaged or tampered with
  4. No copies of anything other than printed utility bill

Some extra things you can bring just in case are: Marriage certificate Military discharge papers Health insurance card Debit card from major bank However if you have all the documents mentioned above you won’t need them.

Truly there is no rush to get the RealID and people lose their minds over it for no reason. The date for it to become a requirement has been pushed back about four times. It gives you absolutely no extra benefits besides flying domestically and if you have a passport you don’t need it.

Be kind to the dmv workers assisting you. Fill out your forms correctly with no mistakes, bring exactly what I told you to, make sure all documents are organized and names/addresses match identically. They have the power to make your day miserable and they will invoke it if they feel like it. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

deviantkindle OP t1_jebm5qo wrote

Thanks for the sanity check. I don't have a problem with the documents gathering, it was the restrictions--like "no copies accepted"--that was frustrating me.

​

>Truly there is no rush to get the RealID and people lose their minds over it for no reason.

IDGAF about RealID but my license is up for renewal and I can't do it via online/email since they're "upgrading" me to RealId as well.

​

>Be kind to the [$WORKERS] assisting you...They have the power to make your day miserable and they will invoke it if they feel like it.

Always good advice. :-)