Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

specialgravity t1_jdnnofv wrote

That’s the problem. The people in Bergen county flood other towns on Sundays because there’s nothing to do in their dull, backwards towns. The people who work Monday to Friday also matter. We all paid for that monstrosity in the meadowlands with our tax dollars. Let us at least shop in it.

The State should also end statewide blue laws with car dealerships. It’d be nice to shop for a car on a day I have off.

silchi t1_jdnpc65 wrote

I think the major hurdle with car dealerships being open on Sunday is that the banks and financing institutions would also need to be open and available to approve buyers for car loans.

Scroll-ie t1_jdns1la wrote

Financing a car when banks are closed is a nightmare. The dealership will predicate the deal based on their closest approximations and won't be held responsible for changes to the agreement after the bank gets involved the next day.

Jagrmeister_68 t1_jdr3oc2 wrote

Ya know I never really thought about why they were closed on Sundays, but now it makes perfect sense.

Paid-Vacation1 OP t1_jdnoui2 wrote

I totally agree with you. And not to mention some people actually want the opportunity to work on Sunday.

Linenoise77 t1_jdnozac wrote

I go over to american dream on sundays a lot to ski, and that place is still hopping even then. A lot of stores are actually open and try and skate by on very vague exceptions to the law (the hat store was open, saying they counted as 'sporting goods'). It seems to be very loosely enforced there.

Edit: its also worth noting that individual towns have their own (paramus being the most restrictive) and the overall county law is relatively loose. Also enforcement is done at the local level, which is why some towns are a little more loosey goosey than paramus. I imagine the bergen county sheriff would step in if a town really went bonkers with it so the whole thing wasn't undermined, but they seem to be cool letting american dream do its own thing, and i suspect are more of the mind that the meadowlands and the football teams will keep it relatively in check and its in everyone's interest that the place is a success. I wouldn't be surprised down the road an exemption carved out for it, and would support it.

I worked in an office in Montvale, and every so often would have to run in on sunday for something for an emergency. It was always, "ok, can this wait until monday or do we just pay the couple hundred buck fine" I forget the details, but it was reasonable if you called the cops and explained it, if they drove by and saw a car there, and caught you entering\exiting, it was more severe.

More than once i sat in the parking lot until midnight with a cop parked next to me. We all agreed it was silly, but if they didn't enforce it, everyone would quickly start abusing it and it would defeat the point.