Viewing a single comment thread. View all comments

Linenoise77 t1_jdnoqsl wrote

Bergen resident here.

While i wish they would make an exception for homedepot\lowes (technically they CAN open but only sell some stuff), i get by with going to ACE (who really bends the rules), or worse comes to worse, an extra 10 minute drive to patterson.

Its nice having a day that traffic isn't nuts if older relatives want to visit, we want to grab a bite to eat out, etc. Also makes you plan your weekends out a bit better.

Every 10 years or so someone makes noise about this, it eventually comes to a vote, and is always thoroughly defeated.

oneeyedwilly278 t1_jdnpg5y wrote

Oh that's a pro tip did not realize ace was open.. been driving to clifton home depot for years on Sundays

Linenoise77 t1_jdnsn16 wrote

Our ace, and another local hardware store are both open on sunday's for about half the day (and locally owned businesses despite the name). So i'm happy to support them.

What they are willing to sell you will depend on if they know you and what way the wind is blowing that day. If someone questions you just say "Emergency". There is a carve out in the county and town laws for that. Prices are meh compared to the big boxes, and you won't get everything you need there, but at the same time they stock well for what is in the area. So if you need some wacky plumbing fitting or whatever, because every house in your area was built between 1952 and 1954 and that was what people used for all of 3 years, they will be more likely to have it than the big orange or blue.

Their lumber, at least by me sucks and is limited in size. They are very brand specific on certain stuff so if you run certain tools, you may be SOL, and they also simply don't carry certain lines.

I've gotten into the habit of planning for doing the work on sunday, and gathering materials on saturday. Like i have to repain my staircase hallway this weekend, so today i ran out to lowes, the paint store, am in the middle of doing my prep now in case i missed anything, and tomorrow i can just roll paint.

My only real complaint starts next month, when we are getting the yard in order, and i realize i need a few bags of soil or plants or whatever on a sunday, and have to pay garden center prices, or drive out to patterson and lug dirt or whatever home in my car, vs a mile away and rent their truck for 20 bucks to make a mess with.

Jeff-Van-Gundy t1_jdodhtq wrote

As a guy that isn't very handy, I love Ace hardware. The employees will actively ask you if you need help and are very helpful and knowledgeable. I've had someone walk downstairs with me to help me find a very particular screw and give me advice on the project. As opposed to Home Depot where you have to run around for 10 minutes to find an employee only for them to give you wrong or very vague information about where something is and then you have to go look for it only to find it's not in that aisle.